1st Ranger Battalion - Anzio Battle, Jan 1944

504thDevils

Hi there,

A Reenactment session with some French reenactors about the 1st Ranger Battalion during Operation Shingle at Anzio, January 1944...
This is dedicated to all the U.S Rangers that served in the 1st, 3nd and the 4th Ranger Battalion of Colonel William Darby.
The 31th of January 1944, 400 U.S Rangers have been captured at Cisterna di Latina, it was 70 years ago..
William Darby will be killed on April 30, 1945. Only 3 days before the german forces surrender in Italy. He was the creator of those Elite units : The U.S Rangers.
0xb5.jpg

qmmp.jpg

shod.jpg

8xl2.jpg

qsr6.jpg

2cco.jpg

hjho.JPG

1zk5.jpg
so6m.jpg

sxla.jpg

Hope you like it! We'll be happy to hear what do you think about it. :)

Best Regards, Alex.

The white Xs were to help identify each others companies during invasions. In photos of the 1st, 3rd and 4th Ranger battalions, you see the helmets and packs marked with all sorts of letters ( Ts, Xs, Vs, Z, ect.) I don't which companies had which letters though. Kinda like the 2nd and 5th rangers in Normandy.

an original example

post-106827-0-20616100-1388100337.jpg

- Jake

Really accurate impressions and as "Maynard" said what is the white X`s for on the packs and helmets?

-Dave

The white Xs were to help identify each others companies during invasions. In photos of the 1st, 3rd and 4th Ranger battalions, you see the helmets and packs marked with all sorts of letters ( Ts, Xs, Vs, Z, ect.) I don't which companies had which letters though. Kinda like the 2nd and 5th rangers in Normandy.

an original example

- Jake

Thanks for the information.

-Dave

Thanks. After posting I went back and looked through Robert Todd Ross' U.S. Army Rangers & Special Forces of WWII ( which has some fantastic pre-invasion photos) and there was some good pictures depicting Vs and Ts. I couldn't pick out any Xs but it did say other lettering was used. Very cool impression.