Patent Model, Saddle, by a Lt. who served under Robert E. Lee

Here is a interesting Patent Model of a saddle patented by Lt. Robert N. Eagle, who served under the command of Col. Sidney Albert Johnson and later Robert E. Lee, the model is dated 1861. The height of the model and stand is 8".

Robert N. Eagle served as a volunteer in the war with Mexico, as a Pvt., in Co. E, Captain Archers 1st Regiment of Virginia Volunteers. Eagle was later appointed a First Lieutenant in the Second Cavalry (Jeff Dasis’s Qwn) on March 3, 1855. Secretary of War Davis filled the 2nd Cavalry regiment with southerners under the command of Col. Sidney Albert Johnson and later Robert E. Lee. The regiment’s officers included 12 future Confederate generals. After Texas became a state, the 2nd Cavalry was sent to guard the Texans from the fierce Comanche warriors who raided frontier settlements, stole horses and cattle, killed men and carried off women. Eagle was often engaged in combat with hostile Comanche’s. At Small Creek, a tributary of the Nescutunga, near Fort Atkinson, on the 13th of May, 1859, Eagle was commended in the official report for conspicuous gallantry and energy, and complimented in orders by General Winfield Scott. Eagle served until the l5th of January, 1862, when he resigned his commission. The 2nd Cavalry fought in a total of thirteen Indian Campaigns.

This information is from the book Jeff Davis's Own: Cavalry, Comanches, and the Battle for the Texas Frontier by James R. Arnold

Dick

post-9487-0-72390400-1391358915.jpg

post-9487-0-39130200-1391358922.jpg

WOW-- great patent model!

I really like patent models (only have one)-- the military related ones are very desirable.

I am not sure if you are familiar with google patents? You can get copies of the original drawings and specifications through the site:

https://www.google.com/patents/US34044?dq=34044&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5njuUqGlEIaOrAHa-IGQDw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA

Scott

Thanks Scott, here is the original patent. Robin: yes, I have had this for years, I really like unusual things and especially unique cavalry items.

Dick

post-9487-0-09624900-1391361610.jpg