New Releases

Proud Kraut

Tamiya with the WWI figures wow, can hardly wait for other WWI Armies that are sure to follow.

1/200 scale Missouri? Arizona? Bismark? Wow that is big! The biggest question is where do you put one of these when you are done?

When I was a kid I built a large scale CV-65 USS Enterprise that I believe was an Aurora kit. I can't recall the exact scale, but it was huge, and dominated my model display bookshelf. The deck pieces were about 1/4 inch thick! And airplanes in abundance. I have a photo somewhere.

Found these MENG 1/35 kits online today:

meng-models-men-ss006.jpg

Here's the matching interior kit:

meng-models-men-sps017.jpg

I did a small online research regarding the BUSK III system and learned that the "Bradley Urban Survivability Kit III" is the latest upgrade relaesed with about 236 M3A3.

Now it's high time that somebody here build the ultimate 1/35 BRADLEY M3A3 model!

• 4 weeks later...

We see two officers and the crew, but where's Lieutenant Commander McHale?

:lol::lol::lol:

post-34986-0-82514600-1413683820.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally at long last some one has finally done a US 57mm AT gun M1 Version of the British 6 pdr. Riich Models has recently released this kit. I've got it in hand and it looks great. Tamiya's 6pdr looks like a malformed toy against this one... I can't wait to get started on it.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/Manufacturers/Riich_Models/Artillery/us-m1-57mm-anti-tank-gun-on-m2-carriage/RCH000350/product.php

Scalehobbyist - Cool site, gigantic assortment, I have saved this link. Something new for the modern dio builders: 1/35 PET bottles by Plusmodel:

http://www.modellbau-universe.de/produkt;PET-Bootles;PM~446;46;1;5;1.htm?trackIDN=9c82c7143c102b71c593d98d96093fde&trackIDE=7f830ad4b1bf1e466b3a15b7efcb932b

plusmodel-pm-446.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is nice to see that the model makers are keeping up with modern armies and conflicts.

During the height of the Vietnam War, it was almost impossible to find kits related to Vietnam except for aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

The red boxes look like coolers, containers to keep food and beverages cold. The round circles probably represent cup holders that are built into the lids of some of them.

Alloy wheels... for a civilianized HUMV perhaps?

meng-models-men-sps014.jpg

Nope, those rims are for a Toyota pickup, probably a Tundra. Which instantly says "Special Forces in country", the country being Afghanistan. So yeah, they'll want all the cold drinks and REAL food... as opposed to MRE's... they can pile into the back.

The blue boxes are probably for hiding the Barret .50 cal snipers and LMG's until they're needed. The white boxes look like they're made of steel, and lockable, so they'll be to hold extra clothes, socks and undies, and assorted whatnot that they don't want anybody digging through while the truck's parked somewhere.

The big cans in green and tan are as marked, gas and water, the smaller ones will be for trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant and what not.

meng-models-men-sps014.jpg

Nope, those rims are for a Toyota pickup, probably a Tundra. Which instantly says "Special Forces in country", the country being Afghanistan. So yeah, they'll want all the cold drinks and REAL food... as opposed to MRE's... they can pile into the back.

The blue boxes are probably for hiding the Barret .50 cal snipers and LMG's until they're needed. The white boxes look like they're made of steel, and lockable, so they'll be to hold extra clothes, socks and undies, and assorted whatnot that they don't want anybody digging through while the truck's parked somewhere.

The big cans in green and tan are as marked, gas and water, the smaller ones will be for trans fluid, brake fluid, coolant and what not.

Great info, thanks for sharing!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking out for some new releases I found this model kit by chance. A 105mm gun mounted on a landing vehicle. Very interesting, I've never seen this variation before.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/ding-hao.html

That Tank is one I never knew of, a combo of a Chaffee/Duster hull and Hellcat turret, even more interesting is that it evidently came out only in 1975.

Nice find. Since they didn't have that when I made my dio "The Last German King", I used cheesecloth instead. I spread it out airbrushed the camo color I wanted and wet it with a mist of water and white glue. As you remember the results were fine. I used that same technique on another "German" dio on a Pak 40 gun with very good results. But it's nice to know this is out now.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Looking out for some new releases I found this model kit by chance. A 105mm gun mounted on a landing vehicle. Very interesting, I've never seen this variation before.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/ding-hao.html

We just had an article not too long ago about howitzers firing from landing craft during a beach assault. The consensus would be while bobbing around in the water and also with the forward motion of the boat, the likelihood of any kind of accuracy was very low.

I would guess this arrangement would have been more effective once the landing vehicle was beached.... ready to roll artillery. But you would still need to place the weapon just as you would a standard towed piece. Lars, you probably know more about that then most of us!

A great subject for a kit, and probably high on the list of bad ideas brought to you by the US Army. Big, bulky, and a challenge to maneuver, as I recall even at range the danger radius of radition to friendly troops downwind was unacceptable. Great for a collector, and I love the strac and starched 1950's Army figure in the illustration complete with Ridgeway cap.

Proud Kraut

We just had an article not too long ago about howitzers firing from landing craft during a beach assault. The consensus would be while bobbing around in the water and also with the forward motion of the boat, the likelihood of any kind of accuracy was very low.

I would guess this arrangement would have been more effective once the landing vehicle was beached.... ready to roll artillery. But you would still need to place the weapon just as you would a standard towed piece. Lars, you probably know more about that then most of us!

I do absolutely agree concerning the missing accuracy of fire while "on the move". Indirect fire, no way in any case, think of the missing survey e.g. Direct fire? Maybe one round when the landing vehicle reached the beached and stopped. Please notice the missing platform for the gun crew to load etc.

Interestingly I did nor found any photo online yet depicting this specific landing craft - gun constellation. Still searching...