"(National Guard)" Marked label on KW era Ike Jacket

shrapneldude

Thanks to a good buddy of mine, I was able to figure out this was so marked due to it being a state-specific contract for the National Guard rather than a US contract for Active Duty troops, but when I saw this on the tag, it stood out to me as something I'd never noticed on another uniform before, so figured it was worth sharing with the forum.

post-1424-0-39270700-1391320998.jpg

post-1424-0-04740400-1391321051.jpg

This was the uniform it was on. No tag on the trousers though. Just a neat marking that doesn't seem to have crossed my path yet.

Any idea what states it was produced for?

The tags say NY -- maybe New York? Not entirely sure though.

This patch was in the pocket. Haven't ID'd it yet, but it might help with a state.

post-1424-0-97945400-1391379664.jpg

I think it is odd that the jacket has a First Army patch on it. I believe that First Army was located at Fort Jay NY around the time this jacket would have been issued, but it was not a National Guard unit. I believe it had both active duty and reserve personnel around this time though. It will be interesting to see the identity of the patch found in the pocket.

I think it is odd that the jacket has a First Army patch on it. I believe that First Army was located at Fort Jay NY around the time this jacket would have been issued, but it was not a National Guard unit. I believe it had both active duty and reserve personnel around this time though. It will be interesting to see the identity of the patch found in the pocket.

At certain points in the 50s Armies controlled some non divisional units of the NG, for Combat units, these were all Arty or AAA Battalions, maybe a few Tank Battalions (not sure on these, but definetely Arty and AAA, but primarily the units under army would be your Combat Support, Support unit's. It was towards the end of the 50s that these unit's fell under the complete control of their respective NG Headquarters, and would then be wearing those NG HQ patches.

My source, The National Guardsman magazine, of which I have dozens from the mid 50s to early 60s.

post-1424-0-97945400-1391379664.jpg

This patch is for Aviation Engineers, According to Richard Smith post war Army patches 1946-1989 book, it was a proposed design for Special Catogory Army with Air Force more commonly know as SCARWAF, no idea if it was worn as it seems the patch was never approved by Zee Institute.

Right after WW2 the Army apparently planned to adopt new patterns of uniforms for everyone. Officers would have retained their pinks and greens -- 4-pocket coat with matching belt. Regular Army EMs would have gotten similar 4-pocket coats with matching belts, but in OD wool as before. The National Guard would have used up existing stocks of Ike jackets, and the new NG Ikes like you found would have been issued when the old ones were exhausted. But Congress did not appropriate the funds to make the change, so it never happened. "NG" Ikes were issued to all soldiers.

The main difference between the NG Ikes and the immediate postwar Ikes intended for issue to others was the lining. The NGs were cotton, the others a silk-like synthetic, Nylon, I think.

Shelby Stanton's book on Cold War era uniforms tells more.

G

Gil, Stanton's doesn't mention NG Ikes only the MQ1 and the soon to be adopted M1950, plus this tag on the OP Ike doesn't say MQ1. This NG Ike has a earlier pattern date May 24 1946, Stanton has a 1947 (no month given) adoption date (pattern date?) and a June 1948 Spec approval date for the MQ1. Curious eh! I wonder if these were just contracted outright by various state NG HQs or their State Military Affairs and the maker just put in National Guard.

Here's another NG Ike, note one and all that it does not have the characteristics of the MQ1, to wit, buttoned waist tabs and lack of center seam down the back, and no shortened waist or at best only slightly shortened. In fact it is like an M44 Ike if anything, I don't see any real differance per say with a M44.

post-34986-0-91759100-1391400059.jpg