First Aviation Helmet HGU 55/P

jcoop4355

So I am new to the collecting of items. I decided to purchase a HGU 55/P X-large helmet. To start I paid $75 it is just a shell for the most part, however I am going to have it restored to original condition minus the comms. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Just looking for the opinion of those who have been doing this a while. Also if anyone has any leads to other items I am looking to start a collection to pass on to my son.

post-151433-0-55330600-1391311741.jpg

Thats an excellent price for that I think even missing parts. Even though I cant see the whole helmet it looks as if it was unissued. You will first need to find the Styrofoam impact resistant liner. From that point you can decide if you want to find a XL size Gentex TPL (Thermo Plastic Liner) or go with the newer more comfortable Oregon Aero Zeta Liner. Gentex also makes a new liner called the X Liner that can also be an option.

You will also have a couple choices for headset assemblies. You can do with the standard plastic ear cups or go with the leather ear cups. You will need a CX-4708/AIC headset cord assembly. From there I'll assume you want General Aviation comms installed vs the military low impedance. Boom mics if required can be installed in a few different ways, either permanent or quick detach. Also depending on your desire or requirement, the helmet is missing the oxygen mask bayonet receivers. Lightweight or cast type receivers can be installed. Ebay is a good place to find alot of these parts, but you can also try Flighthelmets.com as well. Everything's pretty easy to find, the only one that might take a little bit would be the Styrofoam impact liner in size XL.

I know you mentioned youre new to collecting so if you have any questions about what I mentioned or anything else fire away, Ill do my best to give you answers as well as other members on here too.

Well I am not doing anything myself I have contacted Gibson & Barnes as well as Helmet FX and they both quoted me $642 to have the helmet repainted, new edge roll because there is a rip in the current one. The only thing that will not but put in it is the headset comms mainly because its is going to be display only. I am adding the receivers for an oxygen mask. The quote will basically make it look new.