Yet Another Meyer Glider.

Wharfmaster

Yeah, the raised Meyer shield and stamped sterling always make me cringe. Though the texture of the back looks pretty nice NOT like the re-stamps I used to buy for $25. ????

Thanks guys. Purchased this in a group of about 10 wings from an antique dealer and this one was the only one that was questionable. Sure looks like normal old wear and patina to me.

W

Yeah, the raised Meyer shield and stamped sterling always make me cringe. Though the texture of the back looks pretty nice NOT like the re-stamps I used to buy for $25. ????

Hmm, not sure why that makes you cringe. There are perfectly good period pieces that have a raised shield and a incised sterling mark. http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/servicepilot/meyeraafseniorsvcpilotsterling.shtml for instance. And http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/gliderpilot/meyeraafglider.shtml

Among others.

But I do agree that the wing posted at the start of this thread is a restrike.

It seems odd to me that the wing looks more "aged" on the back than the front.

Which side of a wing would you polish if you were wearing it?

I don't see details very well, but the pin seems to be 180° opening: a WWII to KW era Meyer wing should have a 80° or 90° opening pin.

In the other hand, it seems to be die struck and not cast, the back looks ok to me and the shield logo is raised. Maybe a 1960's restrike, but vintage anyway.

Just to validate we're talking about the same wing, I'm talking about the wing on my site not the wing in the original posting. I think everyone is in agreement that the wing in the first pictures on this thread is a restrike. The wing on my site did have the front polished when I purchased the wing. The dealer I bought it from polished all his wings. For the love of me I have no idea why. One of the things I look for in these Meyers with the raised shield and the incised sterling mark is the very small sterling font. It's incredibly small. The restrikes use a larger font like the one on the back of the wing in post #2.

I totally agree with Bob that many regitimate Meyer wings have a stamped sterling mark.

Having said that, this sterling mark is a little different then some I have seen.

Meyer made badges from sterling, brass, and nickel.

There are a number of ways to spot a re-strike Meyer in a heart-beat.

One of the best is the findings.

Please provide a photo at an angle of the base of the pin.

As an example, see pic below.

Foreground is legitimate, background is re-strike.

John

post-12439-0-03623000-1391357865.jpg

Patchcollector

Just to validate we're talking about the same wing, I'm talking about the wing on my site not the wing in the original posting. I think everyone is in agreement that the wing in the first pictures on this thread is a restrike. The wing on my site did have the front polished when I purchased the wing. The dealer I bought it from polished all his wings. For the love of me I have no idea why. One of the things I look for in these Meyers with the raised shield and the incised sterling mark is the very small sterling font. It's incredibly small. The restrikes use a larger font like the one on the back of the wing in post #2.

I noticed that the Glider pilot wing on your site(the one you linked to) has an overall "look" of honest age and use.

The restrike posted in this thread looks "crispy" mint on the front.On the shield the edges are sharp,and the lines within the shield are well defined and free of debris.

I guess that is one clue to it being a restrike.Not that that in itself would qualify it to be a copy,as some war era pieces can be very minty,but adding in the other factors leads one to the conclusion of it's age.Please excuse me,I know that it has already been established that the initially posted wing is a restrike,I'm just "thinking out loud" as to my observations,and learning as I go. :) Any comments,and/or corrections are welcome!

Patchcollector

I totally agree with Bob that many regitimate Meyer wings have a stamped sterling mark.

Having said that, this sterling mark is a little different then some I have seen.

Meyer made badges from sterling, brass, and nickel.

There are a number of ways to spot a re-strike Meyer in a heart-beat.

One of the best is the findings.

Please provide a photo at an angle of the base of the pin.

As an example, see pic below.

Foreground is legitimate, background is re-strike.

John

Thanks John for posting the pic.I'm noticing that the legit wing has more sharply defined edges than the restrike!Interesting.

The pin on the legitimate one appears to be more "robust" too.Good to know.

No worries PatchCollector (sorry, I don't know your name). This site is all about sharing info. If my reply had a tone to it I apologize. None was intended. We're all learning no matter how long we've been collecting. And I'm just a puppy in this hobby compared to some. I've only been doing it for around 18 years. That's a totally newbie compared to a lot of guys on the site.

Patchcollector

No worries PatchCollector (sorry, I don't know your name). This site is all about sharing info. If my reply had a tone to it I apologize. None was intended. We're all learning no matter how long we've been collecting. And I'm just a puppy in this hobby compared to some. I've only been doing it for around 18 years. That's a totally newbie compared to a lot of guys on the site.

No tone detected,I'm just "wondering aloud".I gotta say,if you're a puppy,then I'm just a gleam in some Big Dawgs' eye :lol: