Iraqi Medals

Husker

BelligerentBlue

Very nice! I wish I had access to some while I was deployed. I was over there in 2005 and again the end of 2006 into 2007. I was able to find a lot of the old dinar with Sadaam on it.

USCapturephotos

Hey thanks for your service and thanks for sharing. Were you able to figure out how some of the medals were earned?

Paul

Just out of curiosity ..... What were the common ways these items were obtained while in Iraq? From prisoners .... Buildings .... Or in the marketplaces after the war? Hope you don't mind the question .... Just wanting to learn.

Thanks .... Tim

Just out of curiosity ..... What were the common ways these items were obtained while in Iraq? From prisoners .... Buildings .... Or in the marketplaces after the war? Hope you don't mind the question .... Just wanting to learn.

Thanks .... Tim

This is my interest too,

The Iraqi medals were purchased from venders at the local Bazaar in accordance with USCENTAF General Order 1B.

Thanks for the reply! So what does the general order say about bring backs? And are the items you buy in the bazaar different than issued items?

Tim

Basically if you "purchased it" or if it was "gifted" to you then you can bring it back. If you "found it" or took it off somebody then that's a violation. Basically you were suppose to bring back "war souvenirs" of any kind. No firearms or munitions could be brought back by any individual. No cultural antiques could be brought back.

I stayed within the boundaries of the GO and still was able to acquire some neat things. Still, a far cry from what our grandfathers could do back in WWII. There was so much more I wanted!

Those are AWESOME brother!!! Great stuff!!! Who were you with over there??

Besides some other field gear items I picked these up in 2010 while stationed in Iraq.

2012-03-31184321.jpgIraqiMedals.jpgIraqiMedals2.jpgIraqiMedals3.jpg

The Iraqi medals were purchased from venders at the local Bazaar in accordance with USCENTAF General Order 1B.

In 2003 it was different, I came back with my B-Bag full of stuff IAW what CENTCOM put out at the time but I think it changed when we left. Went through customs with no problems except a tritium mortar sight, and an RPG sight, only things they wouldn't let me bring back.

Top to bottom left to right: Order of Rafidain (Two Rivers)

Mother of Battles Medal for enlisted 1991 Gulf War, Wound Medal, 18 November 1963 Revolution, NOT IRAQI... Iraqi Army Golden Jubilee set, bronze, silver, gold, 1973 War with Israel medal, 1954 Flood medal, Peace with Kurds, should be a set of three, Police General Service Medal, Mother of Battles Medal, Bravery medal, SYRIAN MEDAL NOT IRAQI, Baath Part Supreme Worthiness Medal.

Officers Hat badge

17 July 1968 Revolution, 14 Ramadan 1963 Revolution, 14 July 1958 revolution, King Faisal II Police General Service 1958, Police national service 1959, Crushing the Northern Rebellion 1964, Palestine War 1948-49

Nice selection, Scott.

I'm jealous. There are a couple there I was looking for when I was there but couldn't find. I gave the bazaar dealers pictures of the ones I was looking for, but no luck. I really wanted to find one of those two rivers medals.

Mike

In 2003 it was different, I came back with my B-Bag full of stuff IAW what CENTCOM put out at the time but I think it changed when we left. Went through customs with no problems except a tritium mortar sight, and an RPG sight, only things they wouldn't let me bring back.

It must have been a timing issue at customs/ post office. When I left out in early 2004, we were allowed to bring back "sights".

I used that provision to bring back several RPG sights, several rifle sights and a mortar sight.

Scott

It must have been a timing issue at customs/ post office. When I left out in early 2004, we were allowed to bring back "sights".

I used that provision to bring back several RPG sights, several rifle sights and a mortar sight.

Scott

You lucky SOB!!!! Yeah, they put the screws to me, but I am happy with what I brought back man. Who were you with? I was with TF FALCON. 3-325th AIR., 82nd ABN DIV.

You lucky SOB!!!! Yeah, they put the screws to me, but I am happy with what I brought back man. Who were you with? I was with TF FALCON. 3-325th AIR., 82nd ABN DIV.

I was with TF Rakkasan (HQ and 2- 187 IN).

I mailed the items out at the Post Office in Kuwait.

The clerk initially gave me funny looks and told me "you can't mail back YOUR mortar site". I told her it was Iraqi and she responded "Oh, if it is Iraqi then it is fine".

She barely looked at the rest of my items.

By the way, I am a fan of TF Falcon. We had an AD in Baghdad and a soldier nearly shot his own leg off (3 rounds with a SAW). Our medic was having trouble starting an IV and one of the TF Falcon medical guys (SSG) took over and got it started. The soldier lost his leg, but owes his life to the Falcon medic.

Scott

I may be mistaken about the medic being TF Falcon! Could have been Panther-- 10 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be.

Sorry if I am mistaken.

Scott

Al-Taji had a building with hundreds of 57mm cased AAA sights. I sent home dozens of them with no issues in 03-04, still have two for the personal collection. Scott.

I was with TF Rakkasan (HQ and 2- 187 IN).

I mailed the items out at the Post Office in Kuwait.

The clerk initially gave me funny looks and told me "you can't mail back YOUR mortar site". I told her it was Iraqi and she responded "Oh, if it is Iraqi then it is fine".

She barely looked at the rest of my items.

By the way, I am a fan of TF Falcon. We had an AD in Baghdad and a soldier nearly shot his own leg off (3 rounds with a SAW). Our medic was having trouble starting an IV and one of the TF Falcon medical guys (SSG) took over and got it started. The soldier lost his leg, but owes his life to the Falcon medic.

Scott

My buddy Josh was there when that happened man, not TF Falcon but was with you guys. If the AD involved the SAW rolling off the seat of a vehicle, then my buddy was there when that happened.

Small world man.

Al-Taji had a building with hundreds of 57mm cased AAA sights. I sent home dozens of them with no issues in 03-04, still have two for the personal collection. Scott.

No kidding? See, maybe I should have sent them home instead of bringing them through customs. Never got that far north, we swing up through Habbaniyah, then Fallujah and then stopped in Baghdad. Yeah, I am still kind of bummed about that to this day.

That and the TSA guys confiscating my leatherman in Philly on the way home.

My buddy Josh was there when that happened man, not TF Falcon but was with you guys. If the AD involved the SAW rolling off the seat of a vehicle, then my buddy was there when that happened.

Small world man.

Yes that was it-- the soldier was pulling the SAW by the barrel. He lost a few fingers as well.

We were loading vehicles to move North to Tal Afar (West of Mosul).

Was your buddy an LT?

Scott

Nope, he was a Joe. We are in the VFW and Legion together up here north of Boston, great guy.

Next time you talk with him-- tell him a fellow old Rakkasan said hey.

Scott

Next time you talk with him-- tell him a fellow old Rakkasan said hey.

Scott

Will do brother, BTW, we were op-con to you guys for Najaf and Karbala!

Take care man,

-RICH