WWII deep wave submarine combat patrol insignia

Flashlarue

I can find old discussions about this badge by doing a google search but for some reason I cannot find it by doing a search from this site. The post I am referring to is dated 27 Nov 2010 by Josh B and titled the same as I have titled this post.

This is a deep water submarine Combat Patrol Insignia attibuted to Darrel "Bus" Johnson, Electrician Mate 1st Class who was aboard the USS Halibut (SS-232) from 1941-1945. The Halibut earned 7 Battle Stars and on its 10th and final patrol was so severely damaged enough the Navy could not justify repair. The Haibut is credited with sinking 12 Japanese ships and damaging 9 others.

This is a H-H Sterling badge.

post-87451-0-26229400-1391127725.jpg

post-87451-0-30901200-1391127736.jpg

Yes, I had noticed that the thread was not there anymore in addition to the one where Josh had discussed the Vanguard examples as well. Not sure if they got misplaced when they moved things around or not. I thought I had added to the H-H thread with my two examples but no longer see them anywhere and the google link appears to be older posts (old link?).

Might want to ask Admin what happened.

Tim

Hi Russ,

I think he meant my old combat patrol pin thread, which wasn't pinned. It wasn't as expansive as the dolphins thread, but it was the only patrol badge thread with background to the badge, etc. I think I still have all of the old photos, but don't really have the time to reconstruct the dialog all at once. If the old thread can't be found, I'll slowly hack at it. There were many badges that I never got around to posting or discussing in the first version.

Josh

Hi Tim

No I never did do one on Vanguard alone because of the relative lack of variation in the badges. I did picture a few in the shots that began the old thread. Always happy to share my thoughts on them if people are interested. ..

:wacko: I must be losing it! Thanks Josh, I could have sworn you had done one with the Vanguard badge as well.

We should discuss with Admin here if they could consolidate the sub-related badges under a dedicated header. I was surprised to see the previous Combat Patrol Badge thread listed under the marksmanship area. I think they are still working out some of the bugs with this newer layout.

Thank you for the new submarine specific header RC!! I think the sub collectors will happy to see it. ;)

SUBMARINE QUALIFICATION 'DOLPHINS' & PATROL BADGES

• 5 months later...

Some of the Vanguard badges show evidence of black paint (not tarnish) in the low relief. Presumably this was for contrast. My collecting experience has been that Vanguard combat badges are rarer than the H-Hs.