Unknown Medal – 2nd Regt UR?

A friend just picked this up but neither one of us can figure out its purpose, although he’s sure it’s not British. The hallmark at the bottom has the letters in mirror image. I’ve photo-shopped the image so they’re the right way round and it appears to read Union Label, with the number 16 or 18 below. So perhaps the “U” stands for Union. But the “R”? Any ideas as to who awarded it, when, or why?

post-10651-0-15118800-1391120567.jpg

post-10651-0-95427900-1391120575.jpg

My guess is that UR has to do with the railroad in some way, I cannot think of another critical regimental type entity. I believe the mark is not related to the 2d Regt on the obverse; I believe it is a union label/stamping for whomever manufactured the medal. I cannot find and don't recognize the mark, but I do believe it is a union label or union bug for the trade that manufactured the medal.

RIP My Stinky Faced Jumbo, the sweetest, most loving giant dog he touched the heart and life of everyone he came in contact with. He is a joyful spirit and I miss him greatly

23 April 2014

RIP My Dog Dog Jane, the Best Dog EVER. She was perfect in every way. Her spirit is with us every day. April 2019

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.

GEN George S Patton, Jr.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

This has a very distinct G.A.R. style lettering, doesn't it?

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Interesting. It looks like part of a reunion medal.

If the 'U' does indeed stand for 'Union', then there are an awful lot of '2nd' units to narrow down.

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif