Would a B-17 make a second bombing run on a target?

cutiger83

Didn't the mission over Ploesti require a second attempt? I think those were mostly B24's and I 've spoken with a few men who were in that mission. They said some of the planes were hit by the bomb concussions rising from the ground as they were flying so low and close. Let alone having the most ground air defense of any target yet bombed.

How about taking topic this one-step further? What would be the criteria for a successful mission "credit" if say the primary and secondary targets were "socked in"? If bombs weren't dropped on legitimate targets would payloads then be jettisoned into the channel (or ocean)? Just wondering............

AAF_Collection

A mission credit would normally be given if the aircraft entered enemy territory, regardless if bombs were dropped on a target or not.

Matt.

THe book Combat Crew also details a crews 25+ missions and there were several occasions that this happened. They also could never land with bombs so it all else failed they would release them of the English Channel before they got back to England!

That's a good book isn't it Dan ?? ;)

vostoktrading

As already mentioned the book "Combat Crew" by John Comer is a must-read for people interested in the USAAF bombing missions out of the UK during WW2.

He was a top turret gunner/flight engineer. His writing style is excellent and easy to read. He covers many of his missions or his fellow crewmen's missions in detail including the Schweinfurt raids. He talks about frost bight, enemy fighters, bombs that got stuck, paranoid crewmen and many other things. He was a bit of a gadget guy and modified electric gloves so the fingers were heated. He also talks about having to go around for another pass to do bombing runs several times.

post-7885-0-82122200-1391463918.jpg

post-7885-0-86796300-1391463971.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to "To Kingdom Come," the circling of Stuttgart is covered in excruciating detail. I have not finished it, and respect General Travis' dedication to flying combat missions (I think he flew a full 25), circling the city four times seems criminal at this point in reading the book. Four times like a giant pinwheel, which forced the outer planes to work their engines harder while the inner planes barely stayed aloft did nothing but burn precious fuel in all of the older model B-17s that did not have larger fuel tanks and break up the group. It was good hunting for the Luftwaffe that day, and brings home, even more, the sobering bravery and luck of the pilot whose uniform I have, who made it back to his own base on one engine after jettisoning everything.