WW1 103rd 26th div.

steamer98

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to collecting ww1 but I have a strong interest in the 103rd regiment of the 26th division. I believe it was a regiment from the Maine National Guard. I would love to see photos of anything relating to this unit! Also could anyone tell me where to look for information on men who served in this regiment?

Thanks again!

they were not just from maine, the regt. was formed from differant new england N.G. company's, if you watch ebay there is a period paper bound unit history of the 103rd that comes up from time to time that has company pictures and rosters ect. I have a uniform from the 103rd m.g. bn. from a new hampshire man that was in the 1st vermont inf. just before the 26th div. was formed, he went to the mexican border and france as a teamster in hq. 103rd M.G. bn. I will try to post some pictures sometime, I am interested in the 103rd also since it was local to my area.

I'd be very interested to see that uniform if you get the chance. I live in an area of Maine that had a lot of men in the 103rd and 103rd antiques appear from time to time.

I'd be very interested to see that uniform if you get the chance. I live in an area of Maine that had a lot of men in the 103rd and 103rd antiques appear from time to time.

post-195-1211577239.jpghere are my 103rd m.g. items, the helmet and gas mask are I.D.ed to a guy in co. I 103rd m.g. bn. from Bellows Falls Vt. and the two tunics and picture are from a guy from Alstead N.H., he was a teamster in hq. 103rd mg bn. that was origionally co. E 1st Vt. in Bellows Falls Vt.

steamer98, I saw your other post about your 103rd m.g. guy named arnold, I looked in my 103rd inf book and there is a Raymond H. Arnold s.n. 70089 listed with M.G. company 103rd inf., that would be differant than my stuff that is the 103rd M.G. Battalion, but both still 26th div. though. I am going to post some other yankee div. stuff in other catagories.

Raymond H. Arnold s.n. 70089 listed with M.G. company 103rd inf., that would be differant than my stuff that is the 103rd M.G. Battalion, but both still 26th div. though.

That's the guy alright! I have a patriotic photo display produced after the war with a photo of him and his regimental markings as you found them. Thanks for confirming it! Do you know where or how I could find out more about him? Thanks again!!

Great grouping you have there!!! I really liked seeing it!!!

Raymond H. Arnold s.n. 70089 listed with M.G. company 103rd inf., that would be differant than my stuff that is the 103rd M.G. Battalion, but both still 26th div. though.

That's the guy alright! I have a patriotic photo display produced after the war with a photo of him and his regimental markings as you found them. Thanks for confirming it! Do you know where or how I could find out more about him? Thanks again!!

Great grouping you have there!!! I really liked seeing it!!!

start with the social security death index (ssdi) that will give you birth and death (where and when) and ssn ,and you can use everything to send for his military records at the national personel records center, go to their web sight NPRC and print out a copy of the standard form 180, if they have his complete record they charge $50. for it now.

I also have an address for -

Maine state archives

dept. of the sect. of state

cultural building,84 state house station

augusta,maine 04333 0084

good luck

start with the social security death index (ssdi) that will give you birth and death (where and when) and ssn ,and you can use everything to send for his military records at the national personel records center, go to their web sight NPRC and print out a copy of the standard form 180, if they have his complete record they charge $50. for it now.

I also have an address for -

Maine state archives

dept. of the sect. of state

cultural building,84 state house station

augusta,maine 04333 0084

good luck

Have you ever tried writing to the Maine State Archives? If so, what did you request? Anything in specific? Do you know what they have in their holdings? I have a few uniforms from Maine veterans from a variety of units.

From the 103rd Infantry, I have uniform groups from the following vets:

Cpl Clement J. Carroll, Co. L (from Houlton, ME)

Sgt Benjamin H. Coggin, Co. I (from ?)

Pvt Donald G. Thompson, Co. C (from OH)

I have posted photos of all of these groups in the "Display" forum.

Dave

Russell 1910

Here is some information on Mr. Arnold.

Name: Raymond H. Arnold

Serial Number: 70089

Birth Place: Holden, Maine

Residence: Bangor

Comment: Enl: NG Bangor, Mar. 29/17. Reported for Federal Serv: Apr. 13/17. Pvt: Pvt 1st cl Oct. 15/17. Org: MG Co 2nd Inf Me NG (MG Co 103rd Inf) to disch. Eng: Champagne Marne; Aisne Marne; St Mihiel; Marcheville Raid; Meuse Argonne Citation. Overseas: Sept. 27/17 to Apr. 5/19. Hon disch on demob: Apr. 28, 1919.

Roster of Maine in the Military Service of the U. S. and Allies in World War 1917-1919, Volumes I & II

I pulled this from ancestry.com. I found a large number of guys in the social security death index with the same name, but not with a Maine birthplace (Holden Maine as stated above).

WOW!

That was quick!! Thanks for all the info!! I'll definatly have to try the maine state archives, I am sure it will be a great source, I've dealt with the maine state museum in the past and if the folks in the archives are anything like the ones in the museum then it should be a pleasant experience as they were very helpful!