Painted footlocker cover of Nurse

Sarge8

post-52851-0-48361600-1390995522.jpg

Got this on Ebay. Still waiting to get it home, hopefully this week. Looks like it may have been done by a "Nose Artist". I sent off a form to Golden Arrow this morning to see if Geoff can find her record. It is signed by the artist, and appears to be "Merson". Once I get it home maybe I can make it out better. If Geoff's research shows she was AAF and it lists her unit of assignment, I hope to be able to find out more.

Will keep you posted.

memphis_belle

Congratulations, this is a great find! I saw it on eBay and wanted to bid on it but unfortunately I couldn't afford it at the time ;)

However, I found the following information on Lt. Josephyne B. Campbell:

Name: Campbell, Josephyne B.

Squad: 44-E

http://www.legendsofflightnurses.org/Index.asp

post-105115-0-56823700-1391005640.jpg

Wow- thanks very much for the information, Memphis-Belle! I made an offer on it and it was accepted. Hope to have here tomorrow. It's only the top to the trunk. The bottom had been water damaged. It should be easier to display and hang on the wall.

Frank

I've been collecting Nurse items. My mother-in-law was a WW2 Nurse. I have a room, but will have rearrange everything! Good rainy or snowy day project.

Wow, that is really freaking cool!!

That would be a great footlocker of it was a to guy, but to find that to a Nurse is just spectacular!

post-52851-0-66460700-1391112880.jpg

The lid came today. I tried to do a little cleaning after letting it warm to room temp. There is a lot of dirt on it, and where there was no image I tried cleaning with some damp cotton balls with a little Pine Sol. Took the dirt off, but probably too harsh for the paint. Tried just some plain water and it started to lift the paint in the period after A in U.S.A. so I stopped. Looks to my eye that it must have been painted then coated with a varnish or shellac that is coming off and darkening. That's what gives it a "blotchey" look. So I just took an clean white cotton sock and lightly dusted it off.

I'll have to see if I can find someone that is a conservator and knows what they are doing.

Frank

post-52851-0-63205200-1391113470.jpg

Close up after dusting. Looks like her cap is brown.

The artist signed it. Looks like Sgt D Merson '44

Near as I can tell she graduated from Flight Nurse training late Spring, Summer of '44. So it may have been done before she left Kentucky or at next station. Hope Geoff at Golden Arrow will have some luck with her records.