Well the wife isn't too happy

After spending some time and basically begging, the wife finally let me get a mannequin. I was concerned that it would be too big and none of my WWI stuff would fit it and I was wrong, sort of. This one is 6 foot with footwear and the torso fits all but 2 of my uniforms. One is extremely large and the other too small, but anyways. The only issue I have is the calves are a bit big and my WWI pants can't be pulled up to their proper height. So I decided to put him in a USMC uniform and the pants have gotten him the name 1st Lt. Highwaters. But nothing better than a Marine to greet your guests as soon as they come in the door.

Mike

P.S.- please disregard the non regulation footwear and socks ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cotton summer uniform

Posted Image

Another setup I'm piecing together. I still need to get the US Army and name tapes sewn on.

Posted Image

I am always looking for named items to Central Illinois WWI veterans.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

looks nice! I wanted to get a full mannequin or two but I feel it would be hard to get the right size, and that I would end up with problems like you are experiencing... though it really is the best way to display a full "look".

I only concentrate on the jacket and headgear, so I picked up some half-mannequin torsos of ebay for about 18 bucks each...

these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Male-Upper-Torso-Mannequin-Form-W-Metal-Base-Countertop-Display-/380828413440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ab246e00

what is nice is that they are hollow on the back.. so they will display any size jacket. They also adjust up and down so they can fit Ikes or 4pockets. I can fit more of these than full mannequins as well, so that is a plus. They have a threaded piece with a cap-nut on top.. so you can easily remove this nut and could screw on any type of attachment you can dream up/fabricate... so headgear can be displayed as well.

Anyways.. ramble over... but nice mannequin! You can really do a nice display with one. I am not sure the WW1 pants are a huge issue as you can't even tell they aren't up all the way.

-Brian

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2017.gif

But nothing better than a Marine to greet your guests as soon as they come in the door.

Mike

P

If they keep forcing sergeants out at the rate they are, I may be able to offer you my services as a door greeter!

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

She may not be happy but at least you dont collect corvettes or tanks!!

great looking dispalys

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I'm glad you are displaying your uniforms. Keep up the good work! Thanks ~ Danny

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Congratulations on a nice addition to your collection. Now the only problem I foresee is that I suspect this won't be your last mannequin. :D

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thank you guys. It's hard to decide which uniform to set up. I'm still working on a recreation of my grandfather's gear and I may stop with WWI for now to complete it. I think in a year it should be good to go. The biggest thing I need is a proper helmet and not the post Vietnam one I jimmy rigged with burlap in an attempt to make this.

Thanks again

Mike

Posted Image

Congratulations on a nice addition to your collection. Now the only problem I foresee is that I suspect this won't be your last mannequin.  :D

RC

That was part of the collective bargaining agreement. It was in the fine print and she agreed to it only if we were relocated to somewhere with a basement and she didn't have to see them very often. Plus I couldn't use it for pranks to scare her or the neighbors. :( But personally I get enough of a laugh when she walks by it and it towers over her. It's 6' and she's only 4'11"!

Mike

Years ago, when our #2 son was born, my mother-in-law came for a week to help out. It startled her every time she walked through my basement room to get to the laundry room. My wife still has not let me forget, and Eric was born in '72!

G

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Years ago, when our #2 son was born, my mother-in-law came for a week to help out.  It startled her every time she walked through my basement room to get to the laundry room.  My wife still has not let me forget, and Eric was born in '72!

G

So what you are telling it is that it was worth it's weight in gold ;)