Monuments in Dallas, Texas/ Orange County LA, USA.

Member_2114

Visiting Dallas at the end of February, then going on to Orange county, LA. was wondering if any forum members could advise me on any ww2 Monuments at or near either location? Google doesn't reveal much.

Thanks

Visiting Dallas at the end of February, then going on to Orange county, LA. was wondering if any forum members could advise me on any ww2 Monuments at or near either location? Google doesn't reveal much.

Thanks

Can't think of any monuments per se, but:

The Frontiers of Flight Museum is a must see. Lots of WW2 and more.

Cavanaugh Flight Museum in adjacent Addison, TX is another worth visiting.

Also the Dallas Fort Worth National Cemetery is a sobering, but fulfilling visit.

Lots of other things to see such as the JFK Museum in downtown Dallas.

Enjoy your visit. Thanks, Al.

Thanks- as you live in Dallas. Any decent surplus stores or flea markets where I may be able to pick up a collectable!?

The only flea market in late February worth going to is about one hour east of Dallas in Canton, TX. It's called First Monday Trade Days. It's huge and there are always vendors there with militaria. I think that they have a web sight. Try googling it.

No surplus stores that are worth the time.

Al.

I am going to jump in this thread...

my wife and I are going to Texas for vacation over the 4th of July for 2 weeks..

we will be going to: (in this order)

1. Dallas (3 nights)

2. Houston (2 nights)

3. Galveston (1 night on the 4th)

4. San Antonio (2 nights)

5. Austin (2-3 nights)

What about these areas? Any good shops/flea markets/antique stores etc?

Any good WW2 attractions? (museums etc?)

Thanks!

-Brian

The only flea market in late February worth going to is about one hour east of Dallas in Canton, TX. It's called First Monday Trade Days. It's huge and there are always vendors there with militaria. I think that they have a web sight. Try googling it.

No surplus stores that are worth the time.

Al.

There also is a funky store in the Bishop Arts District in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas called: DFW M'Antiques. It is at 424 W Davis Street. Like the name implies, it's an antique store for men and does have militaria--at least it did the last time I was there. Lots of great places to eat in the area too. Thanks, Al.

I am going to jump in this thread...

my wife and I are going to Texas for vacation over the 4th of July for 2 weeks..

5. Austin (2-3 nights)

Any good WW2 attractions? (museums etc?)

Thanks!

-Brian

A little west of Austin is the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg.

A little west of Austin is the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg.

A definite must see. Commonly called the Nimitz Museum since Admiral Chester Nimitz of WW2 fame was from Fredericksburg. Lots of good German food and adult beverages in the town. Thanks, Al.

Getting back to Dallas, check out Recon Militaria, run by my good friend DJ Goodwin.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60044-militaria-shop-dallas-texas-recon-militaria/

Dallas used to have a number of militaria shops, but I believe DJ is the last man standing.

You might want to check the internet to see if there are any gunshows during the dates of your visit. They used to have a big one at Market Hall two or three times as year, and could find some militaria there depending who showed up.

I also recommend the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. Looks like they have expanded to include a B-29 and B-24.

As far as memorials, there is a Texas Vietnam Veteran's Memorial located at Fair Park, which also has a decent selection of science museums.

If you are going to Houston/ Galveston, you have the USS Texas, a post WWI battleship available for tour.

San Antonio has Fort Sam Houston, with a museum to the Army Medical Corps. There might be another museum down there about Fort Sam as well.

http://www.ameddmuseumfoundation.org/

If you have military access, Lackland AFB had several parks of historic aircraft, as well as a couple of small museums.

Austin has the Texas Military Forces Museum at Camp Mabry. I have not had a chance to visit, but it looks packed with material, including an outside tank park.

http://texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/about-us/

American Heritage

I used to live in Dallas - nothing worthwhile that I recall dealing with Militaria except the flight museum in Addison as was already mentioned and home of Audie Murphy I think. But the real treasure is this...if you love music....you got to check out the recording studio of bluesman Robert Johnson's (and much later Eric Clapton) Dallas sessions - recently discovered in old correspondence. And go down to "Deep Ellum" - Elm st and Commerce street - the old redlight district - still a spot to hear music and see art and drink. Lots on the web about both places. LEgendary, historical stuff. Deep Ellum is the place the Dixie Chicks and bluesman Blind Lemon Jefferson - to name a few got their start!

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2011-05-05/music/robert-johnson-s-dallas-recording-studio-gets-pulled-form-purgatory/full/

http://508park.org/

Getting back to Dallas, check out Recon Militaria, run by my good friend DJ Goodwin.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60044-militaria-shop-dallas-texas-recon-militaria/

Dallas used to have a number of militaria shops, but I believe DJ is the last man standing.

You might want to check the internet to see if there are any gunshows during the dates of your visit. They used to have a big one at Market Hall two or three times as year, and could find some militaria there depending who showed up.

I also recommend the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. Looks like they have expanded to include a B-29 and B-24.

As far as memorials, there is a Texas Vietnam Veteran's Memorial located at Fair Park, which also has a decent selection of science museums.

I totally forgot about DJ's store. Definitely worth a visit. On Garland Road, near the Dallas Arboretum---which is also a great site to visit, even though the flowers won't be in their prime spring blooms yet. Thanks, Al.

I totally forgot about DJ's store. Definitely worth a visit. On Garland Road, near the Dallas Arboretum---which is also a great site to visit, even though the flowers won't be in their prime spring blooms yet. Thanks, Al.

My Pal in Dallas lives 10 minutes from here, but he's never seen it and reckons its shut down??

My Pal in Dallas lives 10 minutes from here, but he's never seen it and reckons its shut down??

It's in a very small strip shopping center and has a very small storefront that is easy to miss if you blink while driving by. It was open the last time I went by a couple of weeks ago. Thanks, Al.

Call ahead. Sometimes DJ is out working a show.

Thanks for mentioning this!!!! now I will definitely be broke when we get home.

There is a gunshow in Mesquite when we are in Dallas... and a gunshow in San Antonio when we are there.

I swear I didn't plan the trip this way!!!!!!!!

-Brian

For San Antonio, there used to be a big weekend flea market. Military items there were hit or miss, but worth checking out if you have nothing else to do on a Sunday morning.

There were two that I can remember... one was Mission Flea Market, and the other was Capitol Flea Market.

I think Mission was the larger out door one located on a belt road south of the city. Capitol, if I recall was smaller and was a series of vendor's booths.

Both can be found through Google. It has been a long time since I have been down there, so maybe one of the local folks will chime in.

bootsandbooks

Audie Murphy's medals and personal items are on display at the Scottish Rite Temple in downtown Dallas.

1545097_10201371253314588_1629111799_n.j

Beyond WWII there is a memorial plaque on the Southern Methodist University campus for WWI casualties and the Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the Texas State Fair Grounds.

Nearby in Fort Worth are historical markers for the WWI Camp Bowie and 36th Division and In Pioneers Rest Cemetery a memorial for soldiers who died at the Fort between 1849 and 1853 plus an excellent period display in the 1895 County Courthouse Museum. There were also three WWI three flight training fields in Fort Worth and at least one has a historical marker. The Helium Extraction Plant buildings are still standing though abandoned after serving many years as the FAA officers and operation center.

D Militaria in Arlington and Omaha Surplus in Fort Worth are worthwhile stops.

Omaha Surplus used to be one of the last, true surplus stores in the country.

Is D Militaria still in business? I understood the owner was in ill health.

bootsandbooks

Omaha Surplus used to be one of the last, true surplus stores in the country.

Is D Militaria still in business? I understood the owner was in ill health.

I haven't been to Ds in several years - then his wife was helping in the store. The store's website has a last entry date of December 2013 but the content is not viewable.

Still plies and piles of real surplus at Omaha's and tons of used uniform items a couple of years ago. I bought some new in the box brown Corcoran's there for my WWII color guard uniform.