KIA MARINE 213 FIGHTER PILOT CORSAIR F4U,Massive group

Raidercollector

The fact that the AR didn't air your grouping is a grave injustice (IMO). It's amazing some of the items that make it to the show. In your case, it's equally amazing what doesn't make it..........Again, it's a top notch grouping deserving to be shared with all.

BTW, at one time I owned that Corgi diecast set, kind of unbelievable you own this massive collection of his war belongings! That is really really neat, Congrats.

The guy that does the military stuff ,Told me on the road show he has seen several of these. Like to him it was no big deal to see the group i had,He did ask me if I was related to the pilot. I of coarse said no. Maybe that was why he did not give it TV time, But to me for all the other junk that was aired. That should not have made his judgement to give it air time. I was pissed, Half the show people that were there said it should have been aired.

Nick

I just wonder if they didn't want to air it because they were afraid of the possible backlash from appraising " A Purple Heart" . They never seem to appraise US Medals on that show and NEVER any German items for obvious reasons.

Kurt

Raidercollector

I just wonder if they didn't want to air it because they were afraid of the possible backlash from appraising " A Purple Heart" . They never seem to appraise US Medals on that show and NEVER any German items for obvious reasons.

Kurt

Kurt You could be right,That is a good Question. I do know I was at the AR before the band on ebay. But that probably does not make a difference. I thought that this group would have been so cool to be on TV.

Nick

Isnt it amazing that he only got an Air Medal for shooting down 2 planes? If he had been in the AAF it would easily have been a DFC. The USN/USMC was notoriously stingy with awards early in the war.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...

Here is his Document for Shooting down the two Japanese Zeros,Signed by Frank Knox.

Any idea of he shot down the two zeroes on the same flight or at different times?

Raidercollector

He shot down both Zero's at the same time of the day of engagement, His log book would have listed them separate on the combat date .

Nick

Isnt it amazing that he only got an Air Medal for shooting down 2 planes? If he had been in the AAF it would easily have been a DFC. The USN/USMC was notoriously stingy with awards early in the war.

Kurt

Not attempting to derail the thread, but thought this comment an interesting one. The USAAF did throw Air Medals around like candy. One every five missions or so. At the same time it's always struck me as odd how only one fighter pilot in the ETO was awarded the MoH and one in the MTO. At the same time in the PTO Marine, Navy and USAAF fighter pilots were awarded a large number of MoH in comparison.

I've always figured it was politics in many ways as the flow of men and materials was never in doubt in the war against Germany while the war against Japan got the leftovers. Keeping as many "names in lights" as possible probably was part of the effort on the PTO commanders to not get forgotten by the supply chain from home.

None of this is meant to diminish the accomplishments of the PTO pilots but one would imagine pilots like Preddy, Gentile or Gabreski would have come home with MoH had they flown in the PTO.

I come back to this thread often as it is an amazing group. I'm glad it's been kept together along with the memory of the pilot. It still makes me sad though, thinking of what he might have done with his life had he lived.

Outstanding. You know it's gratifying to find the remembrances that these guys held together through their lives, still held together in a respectful way.

American Heritage

just saw this - really incredible grouping. So good it is all together and intact. I like the photo album.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a shot of Lt Garrison on his F4U-1 #20 on Guadalcanal shortly before he was killed.

I have quite a few VMF-213 photos in my collection.

post-17684-0-20433000-1396384270.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Raidercollector

Hi Jack

Do you have this photo, Or did you get it out of the Osprey Book ? Like I did,Which I pictured earlier in this thread. If you have it,Could I get a copy?

Nick

Jumpin Jack

Hello Nick. Absolutely fantastic grouping! One could not want more than what you have shown here. I have just picked up two Corsair USMC groupings--One belonging to Col. Henry Graydon consisting of his dress blue and dress white uniforms complete, which are going on display in my Marine Room, while the other belonged to 2nd Lt. William Everett consisting of his green service dress and tan service dress uniforms. Unfortunately he was KIA. Thank you for sharing your remarkable grouping! Jack Angolia

• 1 month later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Exquisite, emotional, complete. You're indeed a lucky fellow. What an honor to be caring for his material! Photos always

create that visual link that is so integral.

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Raidercollector

Here is a Video showing LT Foy Garrison and other corsair Pilots during Guadalcanal campaign,Showing some dog fights . A must to watch.

Nick

• 6 months later...