Ammo belt with odd fold

SammyT

I'm assuming this is a WWII ammo belt for the M1 Carbine. Has anyone ever seen one with the meticulous folds for each of the compartment flaps? Any particular reason for this? Thanks.

Sammy t.

post-12695-0-34729200-1390931182.jpg

I agree. This is generally regarded as some storage technique.

Just for the record, the belt is an M1923 cartridge belt for the M1903 Springfield and M1 Garand rifles. Carbine magazines were to be carried in pouches that attached to a pistol belt.

RC

I have seen at least one period photo of the cartridge belt being worn in the field with the pockets folded over like this. Could it be that once the pockets were empty they folded over the flaps (to take up the slack) to prevent it from being snagged on something?

Rob

Rob, that's a very interesting bit of info. The anti-snagging angle makes good sense.

Back in the old days of the Surplus Store (where that wonderful smell filled the air :rolleyes:) when you invariably found boxes full of Ammo Belts, there was usually a few of these with twisted flaps in the pile.

Yes, it's not too often but every once in a while a cartridge belt turns up like this. I think it would be safe to say the practice of doing this was not widespread. Ever since this post appeared a few days ago I have been trying to remember where I saw the period photo. I think it may have been in either a unit history or a Yank magazine I have. If I can come up with the photo I will be sure to post it.

Rob