18th CAG & 101st Ranger Airborne

Wedgehead30

Got these two guys recently.

I'm trying to put an identification on the bottom one. Would it be the 18th carrier air group recovery team? Would these be the guys who rescue carrier planes that go in the water? How do I find when and where this unit served.

The 101st patch was billed as a Vietnam era patch. Does it look legitimate? Would this patch been made in theater?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

post-124172-0-93201400-1390924656.jpgpost-124172-0-72183100-1390924657.jpg

The 18th one is supposed to be Combat Aviation Company (CAC), rather than Carrier Air Group. Its Army, not Navy.

I personnally dont think either one are orginal wartime made patches. There are several details that lead me to believe that, but the most obvious is the unnatural dirtyness of the back on both patches.

-Vance

The 18th one is supposed to be Combat Aviation Company (CAC), rather than Carrier Air Group. Its Army, not Navy.

I personnally dont think either one are orginal wartime made patches. There are several details that lead me to believe that, but the most obvious is the unnatural dirtyness of the back on both patches.

-Vance

Army, well that makes better sense now. I found them here.

http://www.vhpamuseum.org/companies/18thcac/18thcac.shtml

So do you think the patches have been artificially aged? Please enlighten me as to any other signs that indicate fakery.

Scott

Both appear to be computer generated modern insignias.They also look artificially aged sometimes soaked in a strong tea solution sometimes with chemicals to give the appearance of older insignia.These would be fillers until you find real period pieces.Scotty

Sorry I forgot any time you see that washed out brownish color on any patch look at it very carefully it may have been aged by hand not by time.Scotty

Both appear to be computer generated modern insignias.They also look artificially aged sometimes soaked in a strong tea solution sometimes with chemicals to give the appearance of older insignia.These would be fillers until you find real period pieces.Scotty

Copy that, thanks. Looking at them more closely I see a sparkle like appearance to both backs. And while the white areas seem to be aged the embroidery looks brand new and it's very crisp / detailed. The white threads in the choppers windows and the eagles head both glow under UV light. Would these be additional indicators?

Yep. These are typical of what has been coming out of Vietnam for the last 10 years or so. Vietnamese made... just a question of when!