Update on HBO's New Series "The Pacific"

Charlie Flick

How ironic is that? You would think that folks would show a respectful interest in all of these theaters of operation. If you think about it, the Pacific war was just as important, and FAR LARGER!! Personally, I'd rather endure a German counter-attack by Panzer Grenadiers than to have to endure day and NIGHT Banzai attacks on Guadalcanal...ANY DAY! At least the Jerry's knew how to take prisoners...and they even treated POWS pretty well. On occasion, even the Waffen-SS knew how to take prisoners. The Germans also knew when it was time to surrender....

Patriot

Yeah, but for a number of reasons, the ETO is far more romanticized and trumped up than the PTO has been since the end of World War Two. The PTO I think has been portrayed as the "dirty" side of World War Two for American forces abroad. However, I do agree with you- I would much rather be at the end of an attack by a German unit than face off against batsh!t Imperial Japanese forces.

...Personally, I'd rather endure a German counter-attack by Panzer Grenadiers than to have to endure day and NIGHT Banzai attacks on Guadalcanal...ANY DAY!...

Patriot

I hate being cold, and hate being cold and wet more. My worst nightmare would be shivering in a hole all night in the middle of winter and then being shot at to boot. I can deal with being in a hot humid environment - product of growing up in Maryland's hot humid summers. And hey think of all the island girls in grass skirts, don't see them much in the ETO.

R,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to this series. As far as prices on Pacific war items getting a surge, I doubt it will go far beyond Marine helmet covers and HBTs that people will seek. All of the movies of the past 10 years that were about the Pacific (Windtalkers, Letters from Iwo Jima, etc) didn't cause prices to go out of control.

teufelhunde.ret
All of the movies of the past 10 years that were about the Pacific (Windtalkers, Letters from Iwo Jima, etc) didn't cause prices to go out of control.

Let's hope your right on this call ermm.gif

Gentlemen:

I ran across this link to a site that has some very interesting information on the cast, story line, equipment used, filming locations, etc. for the new series "The Pacific". This site appears to be an unofficial non-HBO authorized site, but it has some good pics and interesting information on the series. One nugget I was unaware of previously was the extensive filming being done in Melbourne, Australia.

Take a peek: http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

Regards,

Charlie

Thats sounds great. I will watch it(if i get HBO). There is another series on HBO right now. Its on at Sunday night at 10 or 11 o'clock pm. Its called Generation Kill(its a mini series like Band of Brothers). I dont know if it has a website, but if it does please let me know.

dropkicktino

Hanks & Spielberg and E. B . Sledge aka Sledgehammer in it, how can you go wrong. For those who don't know, E.B. Sledge wrote With Old Breed, one of the best books written of the Marines experiences in the Pacific. So if you haven't read his book yet, I strongly recomend it.