How not to package a wing for mailing

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,

I picked up a wing on eBay a while back,and the seller sent the wing to me sandwiched between two thin pieces of cardboard,with no "padding",or bubblewrap or anything whatsoever to protect it,and the worst thing is that she let the two pins protrude right through the cardboard!(There were no clasps with the wing)

Needless to say,when I got it one of the pins was broken off.I did'nt even remove it from it's packaging but took some photos' right away.I could'nt believe that anyone could package something like that and expect it to arrive undamaged.I sent them back and got a refund.What a waste.

Anyway,here are the pics I took of it.

The first pic shows the wing in between the cardboard pieces from a bit further away.

The second pic shows the wing hanging within the "packaging" by it's remaining pin.

The third pic shows the 2 pin holes in the outside of the "packaging",so I know it was undamaged when she "packed" it.

post-13386-0-37360400-1390797686.jpg

post-13386-0-53851900-1390797697.jpg

post-13386-0-96898300-1390797708.jpg

On a similar theme, I was once sent a helmet wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap, then a single layer of brown paper sealed with parcel tape!! It looked like it was wrapped by Stevie Wonder! Being a helmet, it was tough, so no harm was done....but really!! :wacko:

I had patch collector send me a WW2 bullion cap patch. he put the patch in a zip lock bag with his business card in the same bag. That went into a larger padded envelope. When it arrived there was a patch in the bag with white threads that resembled the outline of a parachute and a bunch of bullion flakes loose in the bag. The sharp edged card had sheared off all the bullion from it's thread because of all the movement and vibration inside the plastic bag while in transit. Man got nasty, accused me of damaging the patch and did not want to refund. Thankfully I saved all of his shi#y emails and ebay refunded my money. Took about 45 days to resolve.

Only case of bad shipping I've encountered!

I had a gent send me his father's WWII navy dog tag and chains....weeks went by and nothing arrived. He went to the post office, and they gave him a half shredded envelope with my address on it - he'd put the tags/chain in a plain envelope...no padding, no wrapping, put on a couple of stamps and dropped it in the mailbox. Apparently, post office sorters also function as post office shredders...although they said they never found the dog tags.

Mark sends

I got a M1912 coat and matching pants past week and they were shoved in a box I wouldn't ship a canteen in. Just another idiot trying to save a buck.

Mike

Unless you tell sellers exactly how you want your valuable item packed, you get what you get. Never assume all sellers are expert packers. Dealing with a problem long distance is never fun.

When I purchase through the mail, I pay to have my item well packed and sent in a Priority BOX. The larger the box, the less chance for loss or damage.

I have learned my lesson the hard way.

W

Unless you tell sellers exactly how you want your valuable item packed, you get what you get. Never assume all sellers are expert packers. Dealing with a problem long distance is never fun.

When I purchase through the mail, I pay to have my item well packed and sent in a Priority BOX. The larger the box, the less chance for loss or damage.

I have learned my lesson the hard way.

W

I agree...I always ask the seller how he/she is packing and often make suggestions..I'd rather pay a bit more than have a great item arrive damaged !!!

So sad, the wings survived a war and nearly 7 decades and all it took was a careless act by the seller, who was probably trying to save a buck on shipping. I feel your pain.

I received a numbered USMC 1st Nic from a large military auction house years ago. The ribbon was very fragile, you could see it in the auction pics. When it arrived it was loose, flopping around in it's little plastic bag that they always used for each lot (yep, Manion's). The ribbon had basically turned to powder, only a small sliver left with it's brooch. And THEY should have known better!

My bug bear is sellers who send books wrapped in only brown paper, result being bumped edges(or worse).

Me too. Had a brand new high value book arrive in a padded mailer with a very bad edge bump. Sellers should know better.

W

Many years ago I purchased an original German Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves from an estate liquidator that didn't know what he was selling (he thought it was an Iron Cross 2nd Class). He mailed the set to me in an unpadded brown packet. It was a miracle that it arrived intact. A set like this is worth about $30K......

My bug bear is sellers who send books wrapped in only brown paper, result being bumped edges(or worse).

How about a seller from Germany sending me a TR "Deutsche Wehrmacht" Cigarette card album full of hundreds of cigarette cards wrapped in a single layer of brown paper that was nearly shredded when I received it... with the book nearly falling out of the end.

luckily the book was OK.

-Brian

Patchcollector

Reading through all these posts it seems that many here have experienced a "packaging failure" at some time or other.Thankfully out of the thousands of items I have had sent to me over the years,I've only had this happen to me a few times.I should have known that something would happen when I saw the shipping fee was only a few bucks.However,one can't always tie packaging quality to shipping price.I know some sellers' offer reduced shipping to try and get more bidders,and some of the best packed items I've ever received were ones' that were free shipping.

I almost forgot about the mint set of USNA officer's insignia I got that was neatly packaged in a box. Once I opened it they were rolled up in a resealable bag that dog treats were packaged in. Mmmm bacon

Patchcollector

I almost forgot about the mint set of USNA officer's insignia I got that was neatly packaged in a box. Once I opened it they were rolled up in a resealable bag that dog treats were packaged in. Mmmm bacon

Oh man.I'm into recycling,as long as nothing nasty is reused.Your experience reminds me of one I had.I bought a nice piece of Native American pottery awhile back,it came wrapped in what appeared to me to be a dirty diaper.I messaged the seller and she angrily replied,"It's not a diaper,just a piece of an old mattress cut up"

Like that was going to make me feel better.Not much difference to me between a used diaper and a dirty old used mattress! :lol: