CRS Arctic Canteen. Little known.

BigMoose

Canteen, Water, Cold Weather, CRS 8465-01-314-4284, MIL-C-44348 Carrier, Water Canteen, Cold Weather, CRS 8465-01-314-4286, MIL-C-44347 Cup, Water Canteen, Cold Weather, CRS 8465-01-314-4282, MIL-C-44349

These items have about as much documentation as the USMC M1967 pack system, Which is NIL, and all but the carrier are hard finds...

What was the story on this? Surely there wasn't any shortage of the old Arctic canteens, because you find them all over surplus stores unissued condition, many still in the original box.

One theory of mine is timing, just like the USMC M1967 pack system, it came during the end phases of a war. In this case the end and draw down of the cold war.

All the NSNs show active 1990.

Another theory is that perhaps resources were diverted into making the needed things for Desert Shield/Storm.

Now the carrier pouch seems much more common to find then the other two, Indeed I often find the old arctic canteen design hiding inside one. The Canteen is a rare find, and the cup is a rarer find.

Imagine my surprise when I roll up on a 2002 dated example of the Canteen and pouch, no cup.

IMG-20140126-00223.jpg

IMG-20140126-00226.jpg

IMG-20140126-00225.jpg

I have seen the CUP on ebay before, but the auction cleared $100 and I gave up. The Canteens usually a little under that. The pouch is a $15 to $20.

When i show them to vets who serve in Alaska, they shake their head and say they have never seen them before.

I was in a surplus store a few years ago that had tons of these, pouch, canteen, and cups. Now I really regret not picking then up.

There is an Ebay seller from Alaska who has complete sets of this particular canteen, cover, and cup from time to time.

A different seller had a set last month, which was not sold , see link below -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-RARE-RECENT-US-ARCTIC-COLD-WEATHER-CANTEEN-CUP-COVER-NOT-OLD-STYLE-/111243034381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e699ff0d

These canteens came out at the same time that the US Military was starting to go in a very different direction with personal field gear, i.e. hydration bladders in lieu of canteens, etc.

I believe that either Outdoor Research or Cascade Designs produced a water bottle for Special Operations Forces operating in cold climates quite recently (for use in Afghanistan).

It looks a lot like the common metal water bottles found everywhere now, except that it was all stainless steel so it could be warmed or heated by open flame in the field. I have only seen one example.

Good info, that is a good point, it is about that time the camelbacks started showing up.

I saw that one, but he relisted it and it sold for a little less.

These sets do seem to be showing up a little more now, and the price has dropped on them a little.

But I really could use a canteen cup for this set, anyone know where I could get one?

• 4 years later...

I realize I am very late to this topic - however I only just stumbled on this unique piece of US gear when I ordered a new GAT "GI type" stainless WWII canteen on Amazon (I have several of the real US made canteens - however I do not want to use them) and seller Warren5757575 offers this cover with the canteen.

Here is the Mil spec for this canteen: http://mil-spec.tpub.com/MIL-C/MIL-C-44347/MIL-C-4434700001.htm

Metal canteen in the arctic...no thank you

We used issued Nalgenes with tactical Nalgene pouches, stored upside down so the ice formed on the bottom of the bottle when it inevitably happened

Brig,

Can you post some pics of the issue Nalgene canteen cover?

I am curious if your issue Nalgene canteen was the same as the one I was issued back in the 90s.

Thanks

here is mine

That's it. I wish they were white. I we were doing combat ops up there, it would have been the first thing I spray painted

Msgt Norway, thank You! Yep thats the one I was issued. Does your Nalgene carrier have Molle or Alice Clips?

I was just getting ready to ask what everyone thought about the "Ration Cold Weather" MREs when I saw your post.

This contractor - RAFCO FREEZE DRY, INC. MRE DIVISION of McAllen TX (I was told) used the Mountain House Freeze Dryers and I must say these "Ration Cold Weather" meals were better than any MRE I ever tried.

post-129049-0-53504800-1541470156.png

check out my posts about usmc arctic gear,you wil find more about the rcw :)

usmc-4 arctic decades of gear and clothing in Norway

• 1 year later...