40's 50's VP-1 Patch on EBay

Bearmon

This one went really low in my opinion, probably because it wasn't ID'd

This is the second official design of the VP-1 Patch.

probably from the early 50's perhaps as early as the late 40's

The Turtle was the nickname of the P2-V Neptune the chains signify an around the world flight according to one write up or the flight from Perth Australia to Columbus Ohio in 1946 which was the longest unrefueled flight until 1962 when it was beat by B-52...

Very nice patch.

post-582-0-67788300-1390704503.jpg

Johnny Signor

I'm leaning towards late 1940's a I've seen another VP-1 patch that has a red round background with outer black border with the winged turtle on globe with chainand it had the title "PATROL SQUADRON ONE in white below globe .

According to the U. S. Navy VP-1 History Archive (Public Domain): A new design was submitted and approved by CNO on 14 March 1949. Although official records on this design are not present in the files, a black and white photograph from a cruise book shows a circular patch, globe central encircled by a chain, surmounted by a winged turtle. Inscribed inside the patch at the bottom were the letters Patrol Squadron One.

vp1_patch.gif

VPNAVY, yes I read that and found supporting documentation in other areas of the WWW.

The patch came from the estate of a retired naval aviator ho served with VP-1 in the late 40's

I have no problem identifying this patch a an early VP-1 patch...

The design is just to similar to the other pictured in this thread.

Are you concurring or disputing this?

Thanks

By the way if you are the webmaster of the VPNAVY site I would like to congratulate you, it is a great site and I have contacted many friends from days at Johnsville through it.

VPNAVY, yes I read that and found supporting documentation in other areas of the WWW. The patch came from the estate of a retired naval aviator ho served with VP-1 in the late 40's I have no problem identifying this patch a an early VP-1 patch...The design is just to similar to the other pictured in this thread. Are you concurring or disputing this?...

Absolutely not disputing you Bearmon - just figured I would pull some information to support the patch.

By the way if you are the webmaster of the VPNAVY site I would like to congratulate you, it is a great site and I have contacted many friends from days at Johnsville through it.

Yuppa - and thanks for the kind words. VPNAVY has been a fun ride the past 15+ years!

Salvage Sailor

This one went really low in my opinion, probably because it wasn't ID'd

This is the second official design of the VP-1 Patch.

probably from the early 50's perhaps as early as the late 40's

The Turtle was the nickname of the P2-V Neptune the chains signify an around the world flight according to one write up or the flight from Perth Australia to Columbus Ohio in 1946 which was the longest unrefueled flight until 1962 when it was beat by B-52...

Very nice patch.

attachicon.gifvp-1.jpg

Nice score, I was going to grab this one but what I really wanted were the USS JUPITER (AVS-8) patches which were part of that grouping. The aviator was the XO of the Jupiter (which was not disclosed in the auction)

Ebay photos for reference (not mine) - congratulations to the winners.

USS JUPITER (AVS-8) Baka Hachi front 02.jpg

USS JUPITER (AVS-8) front 02.jpg

The Jupiter patches went a little too high for my purse. I think they went to two different buyers, if I recall. I wonder how many made the connection between the USS Jupiter and the AIR DHLE (DALE) Baka Hachi patch which was the ships nickname. They are beautiful patches though!

Salvage Sailor

The Jupiter patches went a little too high for my purse. I think they went to two different buyers, if I recall. I wonder how many made the connection between the USS Jupiter and the AIR DHLE (DALE) Baka Hachi patch which was the ships nickname. They are beautiful patches though!

Yep,

You have to look closely for the '8' on that patch to connect it to AVS-8

Baka Hachi was the hard working gals nickname.

These are photos of her unrep flags taken by her Bo'sun/gunnery officer in the early 60's. He also had a great JUPITER plaque and photos with his archive but alas, no JUPITER patches. Too bad the ebay seller broke up this Naval Aviator grouping but that's the way it goes.

Jupiter 001.jpg

Jupiter 002.jpg

• 10 years later...
Salvage Sailor

USS JUPITER (AVS-8)

AVS8USSJUPITER001.JPG.0a0ec9efc40d99d1a88d92be21427ecb.JPG