"Special Muster Roll"?

I recently ordered and received the compiled service record of a civil war soldier from the National Archives. It included the company muster rolls. One is titled "Special Muster Roll". It's dated April 10 th 1863. I have searched but cannot find the meaning or significance of the Special Muster Roll. I see that many soldiers have this in their records. Can anyone tell me what this is? Thanks for any help!

Frank

Muster rolls were prepared monthly to account for the presence/absence of the men assigned. This met a number of administrative requirements (payroll, supply accounts, etc), as well as the obvious one of determining who was actually there. Special musters were simply out-of-cycle musters. They may have been done after a major action, after the unit moved to a new location, after a unit consolidation (transfer in or out of a large number of men), or simply when the commander ordered that it be done.

Muster rolls were prepared monthly to account for the presence/absence of the men assigned. This met a number of administrative requirements (payroll, supply accounts, etc), as well as the obvious one of determining who was actually there. Special musters were simply out-of-cycle musters. They may have been done after a major action, after the unit moved to a new location, after a unit consolidation (transfer in or out of a large number of men), or simply when the commander ordered that it be done.

Thank you JB!