• advertisement_alt

Navy Police/Master-At-Arms Badges

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Patrick & Co., started in 1893, is an older company, but is found as manufacturer on law enforcement badges, much less than Irvine & Jachens, also from the San Francisco Bay area.

First thought is 'Special Police', which has a history of usage on civilian and U.S. Navy badges. Almost always on civilian contractor police when USN related.

I've not found the single wire pin with saddle clasp to be used often after early 1960s badges. Has anyone else dated this style clasp after the 1960s?

Book Link: U.S. Navy Tailor-Made Dress Blues, Liberty Cuffs, and Sailor Folk Art

Wanted: USN Liberty Cuffs, vintage bullion rating badges, pre-1914 rating badges and vintage USN Police style Badges.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

Patrick & Co., started in 1893, is an older company, but is found as manufacturer on law enforcement badges, much less than Irvine & Jachens, also from the San Francisco Bay area.

First thought is 'Special Police', which has a history of usage on civilian and U.S. Navy badges. Almost always on civilian contractor police when USN related.

Ditto what Dan wrote.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

I only have one in my collection. I do not know if this one is ww2 or 50's. I do not know a whole lot about these badges. I bought this one a few years back. In ww2 the USS Pamanset was a Oilier and has some history to the ship.

There is a pat number on the back, that's all I can find.

Looks like you have a nice collection all ready.

Jason

attachicon.gifget-attachment (2).jpg

Jason, based on this ship's history, this PPO badge was only used from 1944-46 and although I can't see the back, if there is no hallmark, it was likely purchased in San Francisco in 1944.

Book is close to being finished.

-dan

Book Link: U.S. Navy Tailor-Made Dress Blues, Liberty Cuffs, and Sailor Folk Art

Wanted: USN Liberty Cuffs, vintage bullion rating badges, pre-1914 rating badges and vintage USN Police style Badges.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

Book IV is about completed. Going into editing and review stage.

I'm having a difficult time researching two MAA badges I believe are jeweler made. I've exhausted my online search attempts. I've paid to post to an online antique forum and no "expert" has picked up my post (experts choose which items they believe they have knowledge or interest in researching).

Jeweler made police badges are not at all uncommon in the civilian law enforcement (LE) community, especially what are called "presentation badges," but almost all USN MAA or Police Petty Officer badges were ordered through the supply chain, which wouldn't authorize a relatively high cost jeweler made badge. It is my hypothesis that a couple of chief petty officers in the period of 1937-1942 purchased their own MAA badges and paid two separate jewelers to make them.

Here's a link to what I posted on CollectorsWeekly.com in an attempt to get more information. It clearly shows a mark on each badge, the first badge has either a maker's mark or perhaps a precious metal content mark. The second badge has "Silver" and below that it has "Y.T.K." which is likely a maker's mark.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/179985-navy-master-at-arms-maa-badge?in=user

Hi Dan --

Have you tried this online encyclopedia site:

http://www.925-1000.com

It has silver hallmarks, both as words and as pictorial symbols. (I didn't see the "Y.T.K." on there, however.)

Yes, Joe.

Been through that one twice.

Thanks,

-dan

Thanks Dan,and yes its a nice one,Jay

Looks like the USS Thor badge was produced and worn between 1956 and 1973, and the USS Thomas was classified a DD from 1962-72.

This USS Rigel badge is likely Rigel (AF-58) 1975-92, not the earlier USS Rigel (AD-13), decommissioned in 1946.

-dan

• 2 months later...

A while back, post #64, Dpcsdan posted some of my badges for me. The TASP badge has an unusual attachment device, alligator clip. Under it you can see the maker mark and Gov't Property stamp.

^

Posted Image

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098