USN MAA Navy Police/Master-At-Arms Badges

dpcsdan

Cobra 6 Actual

I really like your book format. I have just one suggestion regarding your sample page: is it possible to include a sub-head for "Period of Use"? This seems to be one of the commonest questions we are asked about our badges.

If you think you'd like to do that, perhaps you could combine the "Construction" and "Clasp Style" lines info onto one line. That would free up a sub-head space for "Period of Use". In your opening chapter, where you include info on your book's format you could include some verbiage about how the "Period of Use" was determined, such as the dates a ship was in commissioned service, the hallmark, the pin and catch style, etc. Again, just a suggestion.

I really like your book format. I have just one suggestion regarding your sample page: is it possible to include a sub-head for "Period of Use"? This seems to be one of the commonest questions we are asked about our badges.

If you think you'd like to do that, perhaps you could combine the "Construction" and "Clasp Style" lines info onto one line. That would free up a sub-head space for "Period of Use". In your opening chapter, where you include info on your book's format you could include some verbiage about how the "Period of Use" was determined, such as the dates a ship was in commissioned service, the hallmark, the pin and catch style, etc. Again, just a suggestion.

Excellent suggestion, I do list period of use in some instances. I also explain some methods for determining periods of usage, those you've mentioned and several more. I then list some reasons why, for example, clasp design can't always be trusted to zero in on usage date.

Thanks for the input.

-dan

Cobra 6 Actual

Excellent suggestion, I do list period of use in some instances. I also explain some methods for determining periods of usage, those you've mentioned and several more. I then list some reasons why, for example, clasp design can't always be trusted to zero in on usage date.

Thanks for the input.

-dan

You're welcome, sir. One thing I regularly use is the list of hallmarks and the associated companies' addresses, cross-correlated with the dates those companies were located at those addresses. The list was developed by Stephen Knight and has appeared in several books. I use the one on pages 29 to 56 in "Law Enforcement Memorabilia" by Monty McCord.

You're welcome, sir. One thing I regularly use is the list of hallmarks and the associated companies' addresses, cross-correlated with the dates those companies were located at those addresses. The list was developed by Stephen Knight and has appeared in several books. I use the one on pages 29 to 56 in "Law Enforcement Memorabilia" by Monty McCord.

I have Monty's book on the way and intend to consider that list.

Thanks for Stephen Knight's name.

-dan

Here is one made aboard ship. Came with a WW2 US Coast Guard medal group to a CPO.

Wharf

Nice. Navy ship with Coast Guard crew during WWII, when the USCG fell under control of the USN.

I believe this is a good example of shipboard or base shop made master-at-arms badge.

Thanks for posting.

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

love that badge, Wharf.

see my previous postings for one that is real similar.

here is the group of items to MAA WAVE Sp (S) 2c Mary Micciche, USS Balboa.

-Brian

post-114538-0-59821300-1454272276.jpg

post-114538-0-80962200-1454272275.jpg

post-114538-0-35779500-1454272289.jpg

S diamond ratings were most often used for shore MAA's.

MAA brassard

post-114538-0-41498500-1454272367.jpg

post-114538-0-43792700-1454272368.jpg

Hi Guys

just received this today in the mail and thought I would share it with the forum.It's a not to common PPO plastic badge,and one of only a few I have seen.It also came with the guys dog tags.Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.Jay

post-564-0-57865600-1454541043.jpg

post-564-0-04787500-1454541065.jpg

post-564-0-78827000-1454541103.jpg

post-564-0-96061700-1454541140.jpg

Interesting and nice.

Anyone have any theories on this "special" badge?

Patrick & Co., started in 1893, is an older company, but is found as manufacturer on law enforcement badges, much less than Irvine & Jachens, also from the San Francisco Bay area.

First thought is 'Special Police', which has a history of usage on civilian and U.S. Navy badges. Almost always on civilian contractor police when USN related.

I've not found the single wire pin with saddle clasp to be used often after early 1960s badges. Has anyone else dated this style clasp after the 1960s?

Couple examples.

post-769-0-63457500-1454772606.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Patrick & Co., started in 1893, is an older company, but is found as manufacturer on law enforcement badges, much less than Irvine & Jachens, also from the San Francisco Bay area.

First thought is 'Special Police', which has a history of usage on civilian and U.S. Navy badges. Almost always on civilian contractor police when USN related.

Ditto what Dan wrote.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

I only have one in my collection. I do not know if this one is ww2 or 50's. I do not know a whole lot about these badges. I bought this one a few years back. In ww2 the USS Pamanset was a Oilier and has some history to the ship.

There is a pat number on the back, that's all I can find.

Looks like you have a nice collection all ready.

Jason

attachicon.gifget-attachment (2).jpg

Jason, based on this ship's history, this PPO badge was only used from 1944-46 and although I can't see the back, if there is no hallmark, it was likely purchased in San Francisco in 1944.

Book is close to being finished.

-dan

Book IV is about completed. Going into editing and review stage.

I'm having a difficult time researching two MAA badges I believe are jeweler made. I've exhausted my online search attempts. I've paid to post to an online antique forum and no "expert" has picked up my post (experts choose which items they believe they have knowledge or interest in researching).

Jeweler made police badges are not at all uncommon in the civilian law enforcement (LE) community, especially what are called "presentation badges," but almost all USN MAA or Police Petty Officer badges were ordered through the supply chain, which wouldn't authorize a relatively high cost jeweler made badge. It is my hypothesis that a couple of chief petty officers in the period of 1937-1942 purchased their own MAA badges and paid two separate jewelers to make them.

Here's a link to what I posted on CollectorsWeekly.com in an attempt to get more information. It clearly shows a mark on each badge, the first badge has either a maker's mark or perhaps a precious metal content mark. The second badge has "Silver" and below that it has "Y.T.K." which is likely a maker's mark.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/179985-navy-master-at-arms-maa-badge?in=user

Hi Dan --

Have you tried this online encyclopedia site:

http://www.925-1000.com

It has silver hallmarks, both as words and as pictorial symbols. (I didn't see the "Y.T.K." on there, however.)

Yes, Joe.

Been through that one twice.

Thanks,

-dan