USN MAA Navy Police/Master-At-Arms Badges

dpcsdan

Half dozen of same or all different?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Half dozen all different, seven of them to be specific. Will post a pic soon.

Looking for five and six point star versions, as well as those that say Shore Patrol.

Thanks,

I am starting to get more in to the badges.. What are you looking for one?

Looking for five and six point star versions, as well as those that say Shore Patrol.

Want to build my collection and gather historical facts about the use of these badges at naval commands.

Thanks,

-dan

I have my issued Naval Station Seattle Brig badge (pictured on your site, btw) from the early 90s. I also have a couple ship's MAA badges from the 50s. Not my focus, but I do grab them when I get a chance.

Hi Dan,

I only have one in my collection. I do not know if this one is ww2 or 50's. I do not know a whole lot about these badges. I bought this one a few years back. In ww2 the USS Pamanset was a Oilier and has some history to the ship.

There is a pat number on the back, that's all I can find.

Looks like you have a nice collection all ready.

Jason

post-2501-0-33978900-1390778261.jpg

post-2501-0-42830000-1390863375.jpg

Jason

Latest addition. Pacific Naval Air Bases Contractor, WWII era, maker marked. I'm learning more about police / military police badges.

It appears civilian police force badge usage started around 1840s. I'm guessing at this point, but Western sheriff / marshall usage predated that time period.

USN usage timeframe still eludes me, but early USN terminology appears to have been Police Petty Officer and/or Master At Arms.

I'm currently leaning toward early 1900s as USN common usage beginning period.

Any input from forum members?

Thanks,

-dan

post-769-0-53440000-1390835108.jpg

Nice badges, I especially like the AVT Lex badge!!

I liked it, too! I've really toyed at the idea of collecting these badges...especially the early-mid century examples. They are quite exquisite in their utilitarian presentation and design!

I'll have to try and get pics but I have the following Navy Police / MAA badges.

NAVADCOM T.P.U. MAA. TPU?

MAA GUAM

ACMAA NMCB-62

USS TRIPOLI LPH-10

GENERIC MAA

CHIEF MAA USS REEVES DLG-24 beautiful two tone badge

US NAVY POLICE NAF WASHINGTON DC INAUGURATION OF THE PRESIDENT 1989

US NAVY POLICE TASP (TASP?) has an alligator type clip as a fastener marked Govt Prop

MAA USS GLENNON DD-840

MAA NEWMAN K. PERRY DD-883

DUTY MAA USS GUIDE MSO-447

USN MCB ONE MAA Nice enameled Seabees seal

US NCSP SECURITY POLICE supposedly Navy communication site in the PI DOD seal in center

US NAVY MAA USS LANG

MAA USS SCHOFIELD DEG-3

PATROLMAN MILITARY POLCE CAMP LEJEUNE Marine Corps seal in center

My current hypothesis is 1) USN use of Police Petty Officer (P.P.O.) badges did not start until WWII, or just before WWII. A 1938 edition of The Blue Jacket's Manual does not list a collateral duty of police petty officer, whereas a 1941 edition of the BJM does list the collateral duty of P.P.O., the collateral duty of P.P.O. is listed as late as 1968 in the BJM.

2) Shore Patrol badges were also likely to have started in WWII, or possibly after WWII.

3) Master-At-Arms, as well as Chief Master-At-Arms badges were likely not used before 1921 when the MAA specialty was discontinued. I've not yet dated an MAA badge prior to 1938, but it's early in my research.

4) Contracting of base security to civilian police individuals (i.e. Base Police Forces), I don't have a timeframe captured, though I believe Sampson NTC and other NTCs employed police forces during WWII.

Please post any info you might have.

-dan

post-769-0-41891900-1391522381.jpg

post-769-0-44394200-1391522945.jpg

post-769-0-88636000-1391522957.jpg