What type of Oxygen mask?

AZPhil

Thank You Very Much Gent's for the great information,pic's and website. I do really appreciate all that you have posted. I think I have enough info to complete this mission to Honor these Men!!!!! I do have one more question about the pic of General Travis. Why do you think it is a Major's oakleaf he is wearing and not the Star he should have been wearing at that time? He was a Brigadier General on that flight.(One Star) Semper Fi Phil

Hi Phil,

Yep, it may well be a star on his shoulder, that would fit, it was just the clarity of the photo that made me think it was a Majors leaf but looking again the star looks more like it.

Wish I could work out what he's holding in his left hand ?

Glad to be of help and good luck with the project.

Cheers Dave

Here is a pic of BG Travis, that member Blue Leader posted in my variable density goggles thread. You can make out his rank a little better than the pic from the 384th.

The item in his left hand almost looks like a flak helmet but it is very hard to see when you zoom in on it to make a positive ID.

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-47963500-1390961523.jpg

Hi Phil,

yep, think it is a Flak Helmet, I can just about make out the helmet webbing straps inside it, good work ;)

Cheers Dave

Obviously the crusher cap in an officer's but this is my A8 oxygen mask. The cap is part of a grouping that once belonged to Capt Carl F. Lundeed, USAAF, my grand-uncle.

A-8O2mask_zps0112be1b.jpgA-802amask_zps2de1611c.jpg

Hi Husker,

the mask is in great condition and especially the bladder which often shrivel up, thats a lovely grouping there and I can see the cap was much 'loved' looking at the peak.

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers Dave

That is an excellent set up Husker!!!! Really Nice and the cap belonging to your relative makes that even better.

Just out of curiosity and for my knowledge. When the B17G came along were the pilots still able to use the A8 mask?

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil,

During the spring of 43' the 8th started to convert over to the demand oxygen system and move away from the sometimes troublesome constant flow system although the A8 mask remained in use throughout the war. As far as I'm aware, by the time the B17 G model started to reach these shores they were fitted with the demand systems and the A12 diluter regulator. I'm fairly sure this was common practice on any ships going through Burtonwood onwards from summer 43' too. This allowed upgrades on the B 17 F models still in use at that point and i can't remember the full details now but there was a field directive in regards to the sub depots doing these upgrades also.

Just to complicate things further, there was also a kit issued to convert the A8 masks to the demand systems too although these are hard to find as this was'nt widespread as the newer range of demand masks were coming out in large numbers.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers Dave

Pleasure Phil,

Glad I could help, I think you'd be pretty safe with a demand oxygen set up from around July 43' onwards and if this is in regards your Uncle's tribute display then by the time he was on the G models that this would definitely be the case ;)

Dave,

It was not about my Uncle. But 1st LT Edward Fioretti. The guy in the middle back row with the killer mustache in the photo above who was the pilot of the Mrs Geezil when it was shot down. Just for future reference when I start with his display.

Thanks

Phil