Found in the Southwest Cactus DUI possibly Cavalry

Fort Susquehanna

Fort Susquehanna

I found this in Arizona on a trip. It is a screwback design. No manufacturing markings are on the back. Any ideas?

The two images are no longer available.

The 42nd Division Rainbow is there because certain Elements that made up the post WWI 115th QM Regiment was in the 42nd Div in the Great War, the 42nd Div of the WWI period as we know were made up excusivly with various National Guard units. It's kind a hard to decipher which ones were in the 42nd Div, I think it was a Company or two of the 115th Engineers.

Try you luck here, Like I said even I have a kinda hard time sorting this out, maybe a few pairs of less stark stared eyes mignt help :lol:

http://www.militarymuseum.org/115thQMRegt.pdf

You are on the road to being entirely correct. During WW I, the 40th Div never saw combat. It was redesignated the 6th Depot Div upon arrival in France in Aug 1918 and stripped of replacements, sometimes entire battalions. (The 40th never really lost its "40th Div" designation, despite the Depot history).

The official description of this DI: The buff portion (it's not yellow for cavalry, it's buff for QM) symbolized the QMC. The red portion symbolized the unit's engineer past with the cactus representing Mexican Border service (1st Bn, Engineers, CA NG) and the rainbow representing World War I (2d Battalion, 117th Engineer Regiment, 42d Rainbow Division). Apparently, the entire 2nd Bn of the 115th QM Regt was transferred wholesale to the 117th Engr Regt.

Now everyone can sleep tonite, all the more richer for the experience.