So my dad sprung a suprise on me today....

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

He showed me a pistol I never knew he had...

It was evidently given to my grandad at some point from a friend who was in the army and Germany in WW2. My grandad was too but was a cook so there was no way for him to get this gin. My dad didn't want me to picture the whole gun so I just pictured the maker/arsenal stamp. (He is a very cautious guy)! Hoping someone could tell me this maker or arsenal name. And yes the grip on this side was replaced. The other side is still original. It appears to be a bird of some type with an N under it.

Daniel

2014-01-18 18.27.45.jpg

It is a shame that you cannot picture the complete pistol, but if Dad says no....it's NO!

With the maker and serial number, you may be able to research the history of the piece.

Good luck.

vintageproductions

It's very possible your Grandfather could have gotten this in a trade while in the Army. Everyone want's to keep the cook happy.

My grandad was too but was a cook so there was no way for him to get this gun.

A cook could have gotten a German gun just about as easily as any other GI on the ground in Europe. They were swapped and sold among GI's and after occupation began the Germans were trading them to the Americans.

It's very possible your Grandfather could have gotten this in a trade while in the Army. Everyone want's to keep the cook happy.

Yeah or they'll probably put something in the food :lol::lol:

It looks like the German Eagle under the SN picture below

D

post-34988-0-20556700-1390106531.png

The eagle N is a firing proof marke meaning it was proofed with smokless powder if I recall correctly.

In regard to German proof markings, it is important to distinguish exactly what "eagle" is meant. The Law of 1891 mandated what is often called the "Imperial" eagle, with wings folded down. Then, the proof law of 1939 (after the Nazis took over) changed the eagle marks to use the straight wing Nazi eagle, and that is the one seen on WWII guns.

It looks to me to be a Sauer Model 38H, 7.65 X 17SR Browning, (.32ACP). A cook was in a good position to trade for a souvenir. He had access to foodstuffs that were hard to find in a war torn country. One of my souvenir German WW II pistols was brought back by a cook who told me he won it in a card game.

BKW

doinworkinvans

Yes, BOLO that is the gun. I don't know why he didn't want a picture of it so I didn't press the issue! Thanks for all the thoughts guys I am going to try and get to the bottom of it.

Daniel

Yeah, cooks would be in a good place to acquire war spoils.

RUSTY

I agree.Some of the best things I have seen or heard about came from men in support units ot units with vehilcles or armor.Why??They all said it was becausse they had transportation and could aquire things and didnt have to carry them.We had a local dentist who was a Captain in a Med unit attached to the 11th Armored.He had guns(over 40 of them)cameras,watches,daggers,binoculars,flags,bayonets.Im not sure how he had room for his clothing and personal items :lol: He sent tons of stuff home.

It's a Sauer 38H, I have one just like it. I did research on these pistols when I got mine and most were used by the WWII German Fallschirmjäger they like them and used them because they would tear down super fast for cleaning or repairs. The pistol was ahead of it's time!

The original grips are made from Bakelite and are super brittle and usually have replacements wood or reproductions on them.

Craig

post-7997-0-07130700-1390187948.jpg

post-7997-0-21613500-1390187966.jpg

This is how easy they take down!

How to field-strip (disassemble) Sauer 38H: 1) remove the magazine 2) check for live round in chamber 3) pull down the disassembly latch, which is located in the front of the trigger, inside the trigger guard 4) pull the slide all the way back, then rise its rear part off the frame rails 5) ease slide forward until it is clear off the barrel 6) remove the return spring from the barrel
Reassemble in reverse order

Craig