Vet Bringback-German Paratrooper Helmet

DaddyDog

Last October I purchased this paratrooper helmet from a nearby estate sell of a 96 year old man. The gentleman was never in the military; but the auctioneer said the helmet originated from the property of a relative who died in the early 1960's.

It was stored along with many other items in a basement, packed and untouched ever since then. Link to more photos Link to original auction

I have been trying to research who that relative may have been that originally owned the helmet and found a veteran sharing the same last name, from the same town.

If anyone with access to ancestry records can search a name for me, please message me, and I'll provide the family name.

I very much want to identify and preserve this historic connection to the veteran.

Here is a preview of the helmet. Many more photos in the link above. Marked ET68, lot # 4895

post-6880-0-24129000-1390036187.jpgpost-6880-0-56544900-1390036084.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey Daddydog. Super find. This is on my list of things I hope to get someday with my "bring back" collection. I don't have access to ancestry.com but am sure that someone will message you. If nobody does in a day or two, message me and I will pass the name along to a buddy who is a member and we can plug it in to see what he finds. Thanks again for sharing your piece with the rest of us.

Paul

I suspect the veteran who brought it home was Field Artillery with ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 11121880. His last name is COMER.

If he was related to Frank W that may be my man. Without the family confirmation I may never know for sure.

To answer StrkALiteN...the cost is displayed in the auction link...and Very Reasonable. I am happy to own it!

DD

I looked and could not even find a possible candidate for either man in the 1930 and 1940 census. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever took this helmet from the paratrooper cut it off.

That is why the first 6 inches of the chin strap are missing.

Your's is a very nice one.