US Army Enlisted Hat Badges, WW2 or ?

tom63

I bought six of these Army enlisted hat badges. They are 1 1/2" in diameter, 3 pieces. I thought the screw nut on the back was a little different (all 6 are the same). Also none of them have the little spike that keeps the badge straight on the hat.

So, How do you date these insignia? Any difference between regular Army and AAF? No markings on any of the pieces that I can find.

post-9295-0-94329200-1390000479.jpg post-9295-0-85625100-1390000492.jpg post-9295-0-69904000-1390000505.jpg

• 8 months later...

There is absolutely no difference between Army or AAF. They were the same. As for dating these, they could be anywhere from the late 30s to the early 50s. They most likely are ww2 era as they were made in the millions during that time. I dont recall seeing that type of nut before and even the eagles are a bit odd. Very interesting and unusual variants!

CB

I agree.

Possible they are WW2 era.The WW2 ones tend to have a thinner disc than the later 60s era ones.Also you will find them made out og plastic and plaster of paris in WW2 and even som econ-o lead eagles too.