WHAT DO YOU THINK?

firefighter

Right. I was talking about the reporter not double checking anything...but again, the "Captain" is also doing the typical "THEY called ME back to save the world for Democracy" stuff...

Mark sends

Scott that is pretty interesting.I found this interesting on Wikipedia;

The 2nd Ranger Infantry Company (Airborne) was a Ranger light infantry company of the United States Army active during the Korean War. As a small special operations unit, it specialized in irregular warfare. A segregated unit, ALL of its personnel, including its officers, were African-Americans.

Robinb on the forum here has a merchant marine uniform worn by Bill Wingett who was a veteran of the 506th PIR, Normandy/Holland. He wore his CIB and jump wings on his post war service with the MM. It's posted in the groupings section. Bill said some if his superior officers gave him some grief about it but was never ordered to remove them. A uniform that would surely be classed a put together if it wasn't for the fact Robinb was right there when Bill pulled it from his closet.

I read the book about the all black ranger unit and other ranger units in Korea....they spoke of quick training to anyone who wanted to jump or be a ranger so im not sticking up for him but it did happen like that back then......mike

Jump wings with a "RANGER" above it? Even wearing it in the original photo. The man has been lying from the start.

Jump wings with RANGER above it was a common thing for veterans of the Ranger Infantry Companies of the Korean War, so, if anything, that supports his service claim. The Korean War Rangers were quite different than the later infantry units, had an obscure history and wore things that don't look right to those unfamiliar with these Rangers.

Here's some KW Ranger vets berets (the one on the hat form is one I got direct from a Black Ranger's family):

ricaberets.jpg

Bob, I was referring to the metal jump wings with the "RANGER" over it in metal. Was that a common piece for KW Rangers?

Nothing surprises me on an old veteran's "uniform." These uniforms are momentoes of what they did, not something created to satisfy regulations. We simply cannot judge the validity of someone's service based on these unconventional non-uniform uniforms. In this case, the guy knows things about Koreran War Rangers that 99% of the people on this for didn't know, so I give him credit for that. And the jump wings with Ranger over them do echo the patches seen on berets worn by KW Ranger vets. I think the posers are much more likely to try to go by the book in order to give themselves an air of authenticity, while the guys who really were there don't give a damn: they just want things that symbolize their service, even if those things are not official issue.

Case in point is that ballcap worn by my dad who spent 7 of his 20 years in the Navy as an airship crewman. He has aircrew wings on the hat, CPO insignia and silver blimp pilot wings. He wasn't a pilot and doesn't pretend to be, but boy do those wings bring back memories of those years as an airship rigger and people are always stopping him to find out about the blimp on his hat and he gladly tells tales about the lighter-than-air days: the symbolic meaning of the wings is more important than whatever official meaning they may have had decades ago.

....... He wasn't a pilot and doesn't pretend to be, but boy do those wings bring back memories of those years as an airship rigger and people are always stopping him to find out about the blimp on his hat and he gladly tells tales about the lighter-than-air days: the symbolic meaning of the wings is more important than whatever official meaning they may have had decades ago.

This is an example of the " proud old veteran" that we all love to hear about.

It is a far cry from the old frauds that we see coming out of the woodwork!

Well it sounds like he's a HERO and not a zero.Glad to hear that.After looking at some of the comments it made me think of some old vet pictures I have seen.A KoreanWar vet with Army or AF service ribbons from the 70's/80's.ie: Training ribbon or qual badges.I wear the AF enlisted medical badge (MEDIC) even tho it was issued after I got out.

mythbusted.jpg

As much as I agree with you Bob, I stand by my opinion which is he is full of ****. If someone can produce documentation of his service, then I will apologize. Until then there is no way I buy this guys story.

Can anyone enlarge the picture of him in uniform to see if the name-tag is his?

post-98-0-29453100-1390402289.jpg

post-98-0-85538100-1390402296.jpg

DonMooresWarTales

January 23, 2014

It seems the story I wrote about Capt. John Arens of Port Charlotte, Fla. military service has stirred up a considerable amount of chatter among folks who pride themselves on being experts in U.S. military history and keeper of the keys when it comes to military imposters.

During the past dozen or so years I have written almost nothing except stories about people who served in the military from WW I to date. Of those 1,000 plus articles possibly a handful—probably five or less—proved to be boogies. That’s a small percentage.

Capt. Arens was not one of they phony ones. He’s who he says he is and he did what he said he did, as far as I can ascertain.

His DD-214 notes he served in the United States Coast Guard in 1944 and 45 for 17 months and 17 days. For his service he received: Atlantic War Zone Bar, WW II Victor Medal, Honorable Service Button and Presidential Testimonial Letter.

He has an Honorable Discharge from the United States Coast Guard dated 25 June 1945.

His second DD-214 was during the Korean War when he served in the war zone as a U.S. Army Tech Sgt. Under “Decorations, Medals, Badges and Commendations” it notes: CIB, KSM W/3 BCS, UNSM, PRCHT BAD, AOM (Japanese), Two O/S Bars.

He has a certificate from: “U.S. Naval School, Underwater Swimmers, U.S. Naval Station, Key West, Florida.

It reads: “This certifies that 3rd Off. J.W. Arens, MSTS has, on this 19th day of Mar 1965 satisfactorily completed the four (4) week course of instruction, employing self-contained underwater breathing apparatus, at this command and is qualified as a U.S. Navy SCUBA Diver.

Signed: C.E. Provaznik, LT. USN Training Officer

L. Burnham, LT USN, Commanding Officer”

He has a “Certificate of Retirement from the MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND, ATLANTIC Presented To: Captain John W. Arens in Appreciation of 26 years of loyal and devoted service, I take grate pleasure in presenting you with this certificate.

Dated: 9 July 1987

Signed: T. P. Mc Guire, Captain U.S. Navy
Commander, Military Sealift Command, Atlantic

He has a membership card noting: John Arens is a Life Member of:
187th Airborne R.C.T. Assn.
RAKKAJANS 95938

He has another membership card saying he is a member of:

Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc.
Member: 20316

The ribbons and commendations on his uniform include: Korean Service, National Defense Army, Atlantic War Zone, Republic of Korean Service, Korean Defense Service, United Nations Korean Service, Navy Expeditionary, Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, Overseas Service, 50th Anniversary Korean War, Army Meritorious Service, Navy Arctic Service, Navy Antarctic Service, Coast Guard Arctic Service, Southwest Asia Service, Armed Forces Service and enchant Marine Expeditionary ribbon.

In addition, his uniform has a Combat Infantryman’s Badge, Army Rangers Badge, Navy Parachute Badge, Navy Diving Officer, Presidential Unit Citation and Korean Presidential Citation.

He received a letter with the Presidential Seal that reads:

JOHN WILLIAM ARENS: To you who answered the call of your country and served in its Merchant Marines to bring about the total defeat of the enemy, I extend the heartfelt thanks of the Nation. You undertook a most severe task–one which called for courage and fortitude. Because you demonstrated the resourcefulness and calm judgement necessary to carry out that task, we now look to you for leadership and example in further serving our country in peace.

Signed: Hough ?????
THE WHITE HOUSE

In conclusion he received a certificate from U.S. Senator Bill Nelson (D-Fla.). It reads:

“Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition presented to John Arens In honor of your service and sacrifice to our great nation as a member of the United States Merchant Marines.

“November 1, 2010
Signed: Bill Nelson, United States Senator”

The fact that Capt. Arens may have his commendations in the wrong order on his uniform or one commendation is not worn if you’re not in the Army but in the Navy might be attributed to the fact that he is 87 years old. There is little doubt in my mind he is who he says he is.

I would hope the information helps clarify his service career.

Sincerely,
Don Moore
Charlotte Sun
War Tales

January 23, 2014

It seems the story I wrote about Capt. John Arens of Port Charlotte, Fla. military service has stirred up a considerable amount of chatter among folks who pride themselves on being experts in U.S. military history and keeper of the keys when it comes to military imposters.

Sincerely,

Don Moore

Charlotte Sun

War Tales

Hi Don:

Thank you so much for joining the forum and providing clarification. I hope that you will be an active participant in the future - I'm sure you can supply some great information from your past experiences.

Here are my thoughts about Capt Arens:

1. As I stated earlier in this thread, his photo in the dress whites is believable based on what could have possibly happened based on what he recalls of his experiences. It's an unusual uniform, but not impossible. It also confirms what you have on his paperwork.

2. The problem comes in with what he's wearing on his dress blue uniform in the later photo. I am aware he was in the Merchant Marine, but I can say that the Merchant Marine is rarely awarded US Navy awards. I'm looking on his ribbons and besides being out of order, I see:

-The Meritorious Service Medal.

-Four awards of the Navy Commendation Medal (with incorrect oak leaf clusters...those are for Army and Air Force awards, NOT Navy)

-The Military Volunteer Service Medal (not awarded to the MM, last time I checked)

-A whole smorgasbord of military campaign medals - which, as a Merchant Mariner, he was not eligible for, according to: http://www.marad.dot.gov/mariners_landing_page/mariner_medals/mariner_medals.htm

-Navy parachutist wings (any documentation to show that he is qualified as a naval parachutist? Earning jump wings in the Army does mean that the wearer can transfer them over to the other wings...there are different criteria to earn them).

One can make excuses that he's old and might not know what he's doing...but as I count it, he's wearing eight unauthorized awards (not including the three other awards of the Navy Commendation) and an unauthorized pair of naval parachutist wings. Sadly, that puts him well into the category of "stolen valor" no matter what his previous experiences were.

Does he have any record or authorization for wearing ANY of the above awards?

Dave

Just doing a bit of research here to confirm. From the SECNAVINST 1650.1H (the "bible" of award criteria), it specifically states that MM personnel are ineligible for DoN awards. See the screen shot below.

Here's a link to the instruction (courtesy of the Marines) http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/SecNavInst%201650.1H.pdf

Dave

mmregs.jpg

Also, even in 1965, being qualified as a SCUBA diver would have authorized him to wear the SCUBA diver insignia - the bottom right one. He's been wearing the Diving Officer insignia the entire time...which he would not have been authorized to do (unless there's a missing certificate). At some point in 1965, the insignia may have changed, so I can stand to be corrected, but I do not believe that was the case.

diverbdg.jpg

His DD-214 notes he served in the United States Coast Guard in 1944 and 45 for 17 months and 17 days. For his service he received: Atlantic War Zone Bar, WW II Victor Medal, Honorable Service Button and Presidential Testimonial Letter.

And that's one other bizarre thing...where's his WW2 Victory medal? Where's his European African Middle Eastern Campaign medal? According to his USCG discharge, he should have both...yet he's never worn them.

I have to question why the words interchange on his "records?" The USCG fell under the Department of the Navy during World War II, yet his discharge lists "Atlantic War Zone Bar" which is clearly a US Merchant Marine (US Maritime Service- USMS) designation. Sailors and Coast Guardsmen were issued European, African, and Middle Eastern Campaign Medals. While the USMS didn't issue medals, they did issue very distinctive ribbon bars for the different oceans and seas.

The Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal was authorized in 1993, and first awarded in December of that year. How did Arens rate that one? He says he was called back to active duty for Desert Shield and wears the SWASM ribbon (bottom right hand corner of his "soup Sandwich" rack), yet there is no corresponding medal from Saudi Arabia or Kuwait? He surely wasn't called up AFTER the war. Since the guy is wearing commemoratives on his uniform, why not wear actual awards? While I'm looking at it, the guy has an Army Overseas Service Ribbon in his rack? As a serving USMM officer, how in the world would he get that one?

If one wants to find one badly enough, you can pretty much find a blank award certificate for just about anything and everything. Just Google search any medal or badge and then add "certificate" and you can find them easily enough. Finally, if one wants a certificate from an elected official, in many cases, all you have to do is write a letter to the congressman's office, state that you served and ask for one. Rarely will the congressional staffer filling the request even know to ask for a DD 214 or other documentation. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

I'm still more than skeptical about this man's service.

Allan

And that's one other bizarre thing...where's his WW2 Victory medal? Where's his European African Middle Eastern Campaign medal? According to his USCG discharge, he should have both...yet he's never worn them.

Oh, and one other thing...according to the article, he joined the Merchant Marine at the end of WW2. So when did he serve in the Coast Guard? Your article states:

John Arens joined the Merchant Marines at 17 at the end of World War II. He made a couple of voyages in a freighter filled with thousands of gallons of high test aviation gasoline before the shooting stopped. That was the start of a military career that would span four decades and encompass three service branches.

Being the fact that he was a civilian in the MM, he shouldn't have had a DD-214 at all...because DD-214s didn't start being issued until 1950.

So he has a document, issued in 1945 (supposedly) from an organization that wasn't issuing them stating he received awards he wasn't eligible for.

I'm very confused.

And what was this "spy ship" he was in charge of during the Cold War? Is it one he can't talk about? The "spy ships" from that time period are all unclassified...so if he can't give the name...that's another mark against him as well.

The more I think about it...the more I think he might be 100% phoney.

Dave

It's possible to earn the SWASM but not be entitled to either of the Kuwait Liberation Medals....for example, I know guys who were stationed and or TDY to Turkey during the first Gulf War who were entitled to the SWASM, but were outside the areas for either of the Kuwait Libs. I'm still skeptical..because his rack doesn't add up in a LOT of ways. Having said that however, I also know a local Pearl Harbor Survivor who has the SWASM on his ribbon rack....I suppose sometime I'll ask hi m about that one, but in his case, he's a very low key and unassuming guy. I also had a friend (now deceased) who served as an infantryman in Korea.....but his ribbon rack had several awards that would have been impossible for him to have been awarded. I asked him about it one day, and he told me that the local county VSO had made the ribbons up for him as a gift......so...there could be any number of explanations.

Mark sends