Headed to Atlanta, anywhere to go?

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

I'm headed out this evening to Atlanta for work and will have some free time Saturday and Sunday. Anyone have any suggestions on museums, battlefields or militaria shops to head to?

The Cyclorama is kinda cool. I haven't found a good Army Navy Store yet. There is one downtown, but it didn't have much of anything before the 1980s. Also, I do suggest the Atlanta History Center. Stone Mountain is unusual as well. If you like sushi, eat at one of the Ru Sans.

439th Signal Battalion

The Cyclorama is kinda cool. I haven't found a good Army Navy Store yet. There is one downtown, but it didn't have much of anything before the 1980s. Also, I do suggest the Atlanta History Center. Stone Mountain is unusual as well. If you like sushi, eat at one of the Ru Sans.

I would second going to see the Cyclorama. I believe that it is done by the same artist that created the one at Gettysburg.

Also, years ago, I went to a decent surplus store somewhere in the vicinity of the racetrack, but I do not remember on what street is was located.

dan_the_hun84

Stone Mountain is actually where I'm headed...thanks for the info!

There is a nice museum in Marietta GA with some cracking military displays as well as a B-29 at Dobbins Air Force Base north of Atlanta.

http://www.mariettahistory.org/

Also, if you have a car, you're only about 2 hours or so from Toccoa GA http://www.toccoahistory.com/exhibits.html if you're into band of Brothers

Tom Bowers

If you never been and you have the time, head down to Columbus (hour and a half from Atl.) to check out the National Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning and you can also visit Ranger Joe's (army/ law enforcement gear). The Confederate Naval Museum is right around the corner from Benning too.

doinworkinvans

Red Brick Brewing Company
2323 Defoor Hills Road
Atlanta, GA 30318

SweetWater Brewing Company, Inc.
195 Ottley Drive, Atlanta , Georgia 30324

Your trip is planned for you right there!!

dan_the_hun84

Red Brick Brewing Company

2323 Defoor Hills Road

Atlanta, GA 30318

SweetWater Brewing Company, Inc.

195 Ottley Drive, Atlanta , Georgia 30324

Your trip is planned for you right there!!

I will do that!

Flew me from Denver to Atl for a 2 hour meeting and am stuck here till Sunday morning...I'll need the beer!

Check out Picket's Mill battlefied......it's a state park.....earthworks are largely intact. A vicious little fight.......the terrain is somewhat typical of the Atlanta campaign in 1864. There is a visitor center there.....google it and you'll pull up info.