WWII Purple Heart: Cherbourg, France, July 1944 -- where to find info on recipient?

cscmc1

Hello gents -- I just acquired a Purple Heart (actually a replacement medal, I think) awarded to a PFC John. A. Florida for wounds received in Cherbourg in July, 1944. I have searched (via Google) for ages and not found any record of PFC Florida. Any tips on how I might learn more about this gentleman? I would love to know more about him.

The medal came with a copy of the certificate, which reads that the medal was awarded on "THIS 18th DAY OF July 1985." Can I assume that the medal is a replacement from that date, or is it possible he was not awarded the medal until such a late date? I need to learn a lot more about these, obviously. I am thrilled to add it to my collection, though; it came from an acquaintance who purchased it from a man who identified himself as PFC Florida's son. I'm sad to know someone might sell their father's Purple Heart, but I am committed to giving it a good home.

Thank you in advance for any help you all might be able to provide!

Hi CSCMC I tried looking up his Enlistment records and couldn't find them. Its possible they just aren't in the system. Hope someone can find more about him!

D

I found a couple of possibilities.

I found a record on Ancestry for a Marine PFC John A Florida.

I also found two John Florida records in Veteran Affairs Death Files

Name: John Florida Gender: Male Birth Date: 29 Apr 1920 Death Date: 8 Nov 1986 SSN: 330142630 Branch 1: ARMY Enlistment Date 1: 28 Sep 1942 Release Date 1: 30 Nov 1945

Name: John Florida Gender: Male Birth Date: 17 Nov 1929 Death Date: 8 Nov 2004 Branch 1: A Enlistment Date 1: 18 Oct 1951 Release Date 1: 17 Oct 1953

Thanks, gents. I am curious as to who this might have been. I wish I knew a bot more about the family (i.e. whether he was from around this area). I could then search his hometown newspaper archives for any mention of his wound(s). I'll keep looking, too. Thanks again!

Thanks, gents. I am curious as to who this might have been. I wish I knew a bot more about the family (i.e. whether he was from around this area). I could then search his hometown newspaper archives for any mention of his wound(s). I'll keep looking, too. Thanks again!

What area are you in? Where did you find the PH? That might help narrow things down.

Sorry, I am in Charleston, IL. A local man sold this to a gentleman here in town. The seller claimed to be the recipient's son, but obviously may have relocated here.

I looked at local death records and may have a hit. A younger John Florida Jr passed away not too long ago, and his obit mentioned he was born to a John Anthony Florida from Effingham, IL. Effingham is just down the road from us. Perhaps this John A. Florida is our man; I need to do some more digging to find out whether he was a veteran. My guess is it may well be him, and I think the first record mentioned by emccomas may match. The one death record I found matched birth dates. Now, if just I can learn a bit more about his service.

Thanks again, everyone!

I looked at local death records and may have a hit. A younger John Florida Jr passed away not too long ago, and his obit mentioned he was born to a John Anthony Florida from Effingham, IL. Effingham is just down the road from us. Perhaps this John A. Florida is our man; I need to do some more digging to find out whether he was a veteran. My guess is it may well be him, and I think the first record mentioned by emccomas may match. The one death record I found matched birth dates. Now, if just I can learn a bit more about his service.

Thanks again, everyone!

I think that is your guy. He gets a replacement Purple Heart in 1985, and dies in 1986. Lived and buried in Illinois.

Name: John Florida Gender: Male Birth Date: 29 Apr 1920 Death Date: 8 Nov 1986 SSN: 330142630 Branch 1: ARMY Enlistment Date 1: 28 Sep 1942 Release Date 1: 30 Nov 1945

You can try ordering his military records, at least his AGO card.

Good luck.