Storing dress caps and berets- what to do and not to do

ColdWarRules

I have a large collection of Soviet dress caps and spetsnaz berets, quite a few are rare and expensive and I'm wanting to store them for long term. However I don't know what to avoid and what to do to keep them in the fantastic condition they're in.

I'm not a member of another forum so I didn't know where to go for this even though the items in question are not U.S Militaria. I figured this could be a good reference thread for anyone.

I also want to clean the caps, they've been sitting on a shelf so dust has accumulated on them, I've cleaned them a few times but what is a good way to remove the dust to prevent mothing but not damage the color or damage the material on the caps?

Has anyone had success storing caps and berets long term?

Thanks!

-Nick

Hi Nick,

I hope you're doing well.

I have several U.S., Soviet, & 3rd Reich visor hats along with and U.S. Special Forces Berets. I keep mine in vertical glass and wood curio cabinets that are table top size, they hold anywhere from 3 to 4 hats each. I use a can of Dust-Off (compressed air) to gently blow any dust that might build up, it works great. I like the cases because they "breathe", but they also keep most of the air-born dust off. I usually give them a "dusting" every 6 months just to be sure. I also keep a small desiccant container in each case. that help keep moisture down. The cases are kept out of any direct sunlight too. The cases also keep insects at bay! If your collection is too large for such storage I'd recommend plastic storage containers, be sure and make some small holes for ventilation. Check them periodically for any potential problems.

I hope some of this will help!

Best wishes,

Joe

normaninvasion

Try looking into "Hat-Jacks" also known as hat stretchers. Excellent at keeping the form correct. Or traditional wood hat forms. Also natural bristle hat brushes. All this can be found at western wear stores and ebay. Anywhere felt cowboy hats are sold. Jeff

Skip Greenwade

Try looking into "Hat-Jacks" also known as hat stretchers. Excellent at keeping the form correct. Or traditional wood hat forms. Also natural bristle hat brushes. All this can be found at western wear stores and ebay. Anywhere felt cowboy hats are sold. Jeff

I make - and use - those on all of my own hats. In addition, I have developed a complete line of stands that work quite nicely with the inserts. If you would like more information, please check them out here:

www.skippergreenwade.com/HEADGEAR-DISPLAYS.HTML

Best,

Skip