CAP insignia

c-130 Herc

I've identified eight CAP designs in my Disney insignia database.

Here's the first image I've been able to locate. I've got it labeled as CAP North Carolina.

This is the original pencil art created by artist Hank Porter so the colors indicated may be the ones used in the final watercolor version.

hp083 Civil Air Patrol North Carolina.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

That's a nice one. The goose design was entitled coastal patrol sq 2 and might not have been a Disney insignia.

Thanks for looking though.

• 3 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

I think the image he's looking for is one of the Goose and it has a saying on it ""Quick crash dive it, Comes it Der Blue Hen" , has the sub,and bird w/CAP emblem on rear end dropping two bombs , it's for " Coastal Patrol Sqd 2" , I have an image of it, but I think it was done by someone other than a Disney artist.

I think the image he's looking for is one of the Goose and it has a saying on it ""Quick crash dive it, Comes it Der Blue Hen" , has the sub,and bird w/CAP emblem on rear end dropping two bombs , it's for " Coastal Patrol Sqd 2" , I have an image of it, but I think it was done by someone other than a Disney artist.

I believe this is the design Johnny was referring too.

Definitely agree this is a non-Disney, and the image is that of a hen, not a goose.

Bob

post-6249-0-02937700-1393374625.jpg

Johnny Signor

yeah , that's the one I was talking about, there's a signature on the image I have by the artist, but too small to read and the details are a little better too

Johnny Signor

Yeah , I have that one also, supposedly the Coastal Base 2 design , but looks like a RKO pictures knockoff type , so I'm not sure if this was even a "real" design approved for use etc .

The other "posted" design " was a real approved emblem .

• 1 month later...
pathfinder11

Here's the first image I've been able to locate. I've got it labeled as CAP North Carolina.

This is the original pencil art created by artist Hank Porter so the colors indicated may be the ones used in the final watercolor version.

attachicon.gifhp083 Civil Air Patrol North Carolina.JPG

As someone who has researched and published on Coastal Patrol Bases No. 16 and 21 (Manteo and Beaufort, NC, respectively), this insignia was never used by either coastal patrol base nor any unit in the state during World War II. It was, based on a few references, to be used at CP-16, Manteo but the commander evidently chose not to use it, or it was created too late for the base to adopt it. Interviews with former base members at Manteo and Beaufort indicate they never had insignia aside from the Civil Air Patrol's national insignia.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
pathfinder11

attachicon.gifhp083 Civil Air Patrol North Carolina.JPG

There was no artwork attached to this letter when I located it, but this may be the artwork that relates. Coastal Patrol Base No. 16 at Manteo, NC started out at Skyco Field located adjacent to Croatan Sound and the mosquitos are less-than-fondly remembered in a number of accounts of the personnel of the base. Might I ask where you found this particular piece of artwork?

28951200_10105552442118308_4166792702949

pathfinder11

Another one that looks like it may have been done by the same artist.

Both of those were designed by cartoonist Zack Mosley. The first is the insignia for Coastal Patrol Base No. 3, Lantana, FL; the latter for Coastal Patrol Base No. 17, Riverhead, NY.