The Holy Helmet

Mk1rceme

I am of the Christian faith, and I certainly do not take this as poking fun at Christianity. ;) God has a sense of humor (some of us are living proof of that) so why shouldn't we...

I totally agree with Steven...

There is that one bid and - this item listed twice. Here's the listing that has the bid : http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-II-US-Army-Original...emZ330235149148

Then it's here too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-II-US-Army-Original...emZ330235155029

Two listings for the same item??? Looks like they're going to have to do some praying if both listings get bids aren't they?

I am of the Christian faith, and I certainly do not take this as poking fun at Christianity. ;) God has a sense of humor (some of us are living proof of that) so why shouldn't we...

same, looks just like a rust stain to me

Not everyone is a Scholar. I know folks making over 100K a year who are "smart" and respected, and ho couldn't spell a single damn word if their lives depended on it. We shouldn't be picking apart somebody for not knowing how to spell

That said, apparently Jesus Christ looks like the Blob, or maybe a water stain...or maybe some numbers. Even if I squint really hard, I can't see how that stain might look like a person, let alone the Divine

The woman's father was severely wounded at Guadalcanal...what I don;t understand is how he was so severely wounded, evacuated...and held on to his helmet the whole time

I can see how this might be possible through some extreme circumstance, but it seems very unlikely that the guy was hurt badly enough to need a year in hospital...but kept his hands on the helmet he wore at Guadalcanal- the description does not specifically say this helmet was in WWII, or at Guadalcanal, if you notice.

What we have here, at face value, is a family member seeing an item that she believes to be something because of what she sees, and what she knows:

1) military helmet in her father's possession

2) father was at Guadalcanal

Those are the only facts, the rest is guesswork and emotion. I'm sure she broke down and cried remembering her Pop when she saw this helmet. But that doesn't make this helmet what they think it is, and it also doesn't prove them frauds- it just means they are probably wrong but are telling what they believe to the be truth :) But the Jesus Christ thing...that's what she wants to see, so she sees it, obviously.

However, concerning this story, I do have to wonder about this next point, and it's makes a nagging question pop up in my head about the truth of this whole thing:

Ask yourself this question regarding the helmet_

"When taking the pictures of it to put up for auction on Ebay my wife had noticed that there seamed to be an image of Jesus Christ on the insert of the helmet.She starred at it for quite awhile while crying, believing that God had created this image because of her fathers religious beliefs"

unquote

If she is so religious, and so moved, and so sure about the image and so emotional about the whole thing...

why is the helmet for sale?? shouldn't this thing that makes such a connection with her Faith and her Father be a thing worth holding on to? That's the only reservation I have about the sincerity behind this item. I do not say they are lying, it just makes me wonder why they'd sell such a pricelessly personal thing

IMPERIAL QUEST
Not everyone is a Scholar. I know folks making over 100K a year who are "smart" and respected, and ho couldn't spell a single damn word if their lives depended on it. We shouldn't be picking apart somebody for not knowing how to spell

I think you are taking this a bit too serious. Afterall, I do find it funny that ebay provides a spell check, but they did not use it............I guess they were so excited about making a ton of money peddling this, that they just forgot.

If she is so religious, and so moved, and so sure about the image and so emotional about the whole thing...

why is the helmet for sale?? shouldn't this thing that makes such a connection with her Faith and her Father be a thing worth holding on to? That's the only reservation I have about the sincerity behind this item. I do not say they are lying, it just makes me wonder why they'd sell such a pricelessly personal thing

This is what is so bothersome as some have stated; EVERYTHING has a price in society these days, including salvation, faith and "personal signs from the Lord" are up for sale these days for the right price thumbdown.gif . My opinion is that the whole story is a lot of horse-hockey made up to snag some serious cash from someone who has more money than brains. I don't really think that an ebay auction, especially this one, should serve as the cornerstone upon which a philosophical exchange is constructed...

Forum Support had noted earlier in this thread that this seller was selling this very same helmet on two different auctions. One for militaria and one in the spiritual section of eBay. I looked at both of them and sent a message to the seller informing them how dangerous and unethical it was to list the same item in two separate auctions. The seller never answered and both auctions stayed up until 12 hours before the end of the auction. Why? Because when an auction reaches the 12 hour point you can not cancel the auction.

So, I'll say what needs to be said: SCAM! That's it, nothing more than a greedy scam. They were hoping to run one of these auctions up in value and whichever one had a lower bid at the magic hour point... they would cancel it and sell on the higher priced auction. Give me a break, mama cries over what she sees on something of her religious fathers helmet and then still agrees to let the old man sell it??!!?? Wouldn't happen in my house!

One last thing, I'd like to add: "Beaver Biscuits" to Imperial Quests: "Horse Hockey" statement about this seller.

I think you are taking this a bit too serious. Afterall, I do find it funny that ebay provides a spell check, but they did not use it............I guess they were so excited about making a ton of money peddling this, that they just forgot.

This is what is so bothersome as some have stated; EVERYTHING has a price in society these days, including salvation, faith and "personal signs from the Lord" are up for sale these days for the right price thumbdown.gif . My opinion is that the whole story is a lot of horse-hockey made up to snag some serious cash from someone who has more money than brains. I don't really think that an ebay auction, especially this one, should serve as the cornerstone upon which a philosophical exchange is constructed...

Hi

Talk about misunderstanding what I'm saying! When I type "day" you are reading "night"

IMPERIAL QUEST
Hi

Talk about misunderstanding what I'm saying! When I type "day" you are reading "night"

I responded to the words you typed...

Maybe you can turn the light on for me so I can see. Is there some secret message in your posting that I have missed?

Russell 1910
Maybe the "Big Guy" is a collector too..... just kidding Lord, please don't punish me nerv0003.gif:)

The Big Guy is especially fond of militaria. Just check out Matthew 6:19-24 where Jesus Christ talks specifically of a militaria collectors two biggest problems... Oh and of course putting the "stuff" ahead of our Lord and Savior.

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

And yes, it is sad to see someone trying to profit off of this helmet with the crap story. Very sad. Sell it for what it is: a helmet & liner with a rust stain...

I responded to the words you typed...

Maybe you can turn the light on for me so I can see. Is there some secret message in your posting that I have missed?

You're a moderator and should know better than to pursue things in this way. I said it was my opinion that you misunderstood me. That's going to have to be good enough as neither one of us should take this thread further off topic, but I do not feel obligated to have to prove to anyone that I think you misunderstood me

IMPERIAL QUEST
You're a moderator and should know better than to pursue things in this way. I said it was my opinion that you misunderstood me. That's going to have to be good enough as neither one of us should take this thread further off topic, but I do not feel obligated to have to prove to anyone that I think you misunderstood me

What?

Looks like an Arizona landscape to me.......... pinch.gif

I guess I'm just artistically challenged. (Did I spell that right?) ;)