Nose-artist on the job!

Sabrejet

I have no information on this pic (there was no caption) but it shows how talented amateur GI artists applied their skills to creating the nose-art designs which we all love and admire. Maybe someone out there ( Johnny Signor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? ) can ID it? ;)

542676_10151530271897457_47963061_n.jpg

The panel is obviously detached from the plane. The symbolism of the design is quite evident...the American eagle representing the airplane itself and its rider eating a slice of water-melon and spitting out the seeds like machine gun bullets. So, possibly a panel off of a fighter?

Yes not very politically correct giving today's standards. :-) LOL

If we had fought WWII by todays "politically correct" standards, we would have LOST!

I have no information on this pic (there was no caption) but it shows how talented amateur GI artists applied their skills to creating the nose-art designs which we all love and admire. Maybe someone out there ( Johnny Signor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? ) can ID it? ;)

542676_10151530271897457_47963061_n.jpg

Navy? Looks like the artist is wearing dungarees. Al.

Anne Hayward, a British gal who painted "nose-art" on 8th AF airmen's A2 jackets.

ann_hayward.jpg

What happened to the picture??

Anne Hayward (Haybag Annie) also did alot of the nose art on the planes of the 385th BG

Haven't you guys ever noticed that the vast majority of all 'nose art in process' photos are from after the art was finished, and the artist is just pretending to still be painting?

Makes sense, I have done nost art of jackets and an airplane or two in the past (back when there weren't a gazillion people doing that) and I hated it when people tried to watch.

Johnny Signor

It's a P-47 nose cowl piece he's painting on, I've seen this either on a Facebook site or another forum, don't recall where , sorry ..............

This nose-art / nickname was commissioned by a well known forum member....... ;)

548678_10151495214662457_899380106_n.jpg

You Don't mean me do you Ian :lol: A great photo, thank's for posting it.

With the art, it could be from the 332nd Fighter Group (The Tuskegee Airmen) who flew P-47s for a time. Although not PC today, this art would probably not cause anyone to bat an eye at the time.

Johnny Signor

The P-47 cowl piece is believed to be done by Fred Rice 336th FS , the aircraft was P-47C "41-6541" of Pilot Lt.Pierce Wiggin and the art photo can be seen on Facebook under "p-47 Thunderbolt " it's in a ways so scroll down and you'll see the images .