Civil War hunting horn insignia - unissued

RelicHunter99

RelicHunter99

Just got this as a present from the wife that she got from Dave Taylor. Nice unissued brass insignia with both rings still attached.

84B2B2A5-52EB-4A3E-81AA-2C42B0E52460_zps

11B0E126-FBA7-4E98-B1BE-8676D180A93E_zps

Great gift!

New collectors beware-- there are TONS of fakes out there, esp. on ebay.

Buy from a reputable dealer like Dave Taylor as it is easy to end up with repro crap!

Scott

• 1 year later...

yep once a re-enactor wears it for ten years and puts it away for 30. It starts to look good. These centennial guys are getting old and passing away there stuff is coming out. I know several that wore original gear 1961-1965. Just like all the original gear I wore in the early WW2 re-enactment days 1977-? Keep an eye out.

I see nothing wrong with it. Die strike is one of several known. Wire loops look good. Not the straight wires like the old fakes or the tightly curved loops like the new fakes. Solder looks fine. Gilding looks good. Literally hundreds of these showed up on the market about twenty years ago from a Lancaster PA area collector who had bought in quantity from HK Whites and other military dealers going back to the 1940s. This is the same source for the hoard of m1872 cavalry insignia that came out at the same time. His good belt plates got gobbled up by the first guys in there. They wholesaled the insignia and the market is only now getting over it.

Collecting CW brass insignia is a minefield. Like bogus corps badges, there are tons of fakes out there. So many that the sheer number of some of the bad ones gives them an apparently legitimacy. But I think this one is fine. The condition looks so good it can put one off, but they were almost all in great condition. I bought something like 600 of the m1872 cav insignia when the group broke loose and most were mint. I put the worst ones aside and they only numbered a dozen or two at most.