Vietnam war bring backs, need some help with ID,

thetrenchman1918

thetrenchman1918

I was shown some Vietnam war bring backs today, they are interested in selling them and want me to make an offer, what is a fair price for these items? I generally don't collect Vietnam but all of the pieces have a very salty feel, that would go nice with a local vet helmet I keep on the shelf, I do not really know what any of these items are beyond there basic purpose so any help would be great, Thank you

Beret appears to be s. Vietnam but comes with the lot, I have the items for a day or so for research so if you need specific pictures or info let me know post-105825-0-68035800-1389552265.jpgpost-105825-0-00073500-1389552276.jpg

Is there any provenance for these items whatsoever? A lot of Chinese stuff is being pawned off as VC or NVA, with no verification (eBay). Unless there is some real proof of source I would pass.

Hi,

A closer picture of the beret would be nice. It looks good and is for the SVN Infantry. The lower piece is an AK chest rig. 3 mags in the middle and boxed ammo on each end. The top one may be for mines. I'm not sure. The beret would be the most valuable.

Regards, Mitch

I didn't see the top ones were seperate , so there use could be something else. I don't know

thetrenchman1918

will try to get better pics of the beret, I know the lot came from the estate of a Vietnam veteran, I have handled many salty used items and I feel that they saw actual use and abuse in the field, From what little info I could find, some Chinese equipment was actually used by the NVA and VC I believe the pouches to be for LMG drum magazines and are very similar to Chinese made ones the belt and canteen cover appear the most make shift, and In my uneducated opinion have a higher likely hood of being jungle made, the pouches and chest rig appear machine made, but like i said used and worn, I agree with the top post that lots of left over surplus is being pawned of as war used but the wear and staining makes me think they could have gone through a war

also assuming the beret was real any idea of value?

I see a canteen pouch on the right and that's maybe RPD mag pouches in the middle. it'd be nice to see the belt buckle also. But I echo the caution of them being Chinese imports, and with no provenance that is the pricing they'd command.

thetrenchman1918

OK, if they were original, VC items how much above that price structure could I expect, belt buckle is plane brass

The beret, if real, would be $150-200 and maybe more depending on how long you want to keep it or if you are buying it for resale. Having the name of the veteran to associate with any of these items would help. NVA sks chest rigs run approx. $50-90 , so I would guess this AK rig would be more.

M.

thetrenchman1918

Thank you, does anyone know if Chinese manufactured items made it to the NVA, and if they would be worth as much if used in the war? thanks

thetrenchman1918

Here are some pics of the beret, ipad camera doesn't do a good job of capturing, but decal has lots of old dust and verdigris, label is warn and appears to be tin foil typepost-105825-0-12885400-1389557051.jpgpost-105825-0-00806500-1389557067.jpg

thetrenchman1918

On bay state 's website he has an identified sks rig the pieces of web gear appear identical in construction, the aka pouch has the same green plastic strip at the top of the ak pouches like on the back of the SKS rig and the adjustment buckles are identical on my rig and his, as are the buckles on the RPD pouches,

So I believe the pieces to of the era

See the link to baystate 2/3 down the page

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/vietnam/vietnamsouvenirs.htm

thetrenchman1918

Better pics of the canteen and belt, belt is very homemade wrapped wire is used anadjestment, the belt almost looks like it is made out of an old hose?

post-105825-0-27456800-1389558936.jpgpost-105825-0-08297200-1389558943.jpg

Yes, Chinese gear was used by the VC, so being Chinese does not mean it isn't from the VN War. Having the vet info would be helpful. Also, if you are familiar with the seller and their veracity you can fell more secure in the purchase; but this does not necessarily add to the future value of the items. You are doing the research, so you are wise.

thetrenchman1918

Thank you very much,

I appreciate the input a lot any ideas on the canteen cover and belt? They look pretty crude to me...

Even better pictures of the beret would be better but it looks good to me and it is a Danang maker which is a little uncommon as most of the beret makers were in Saigon so there is better chance of repros being Saigon makers.

Mitch

Take a look at Indochina Militaria. John always has some NVA stuff for sale there.

It would have been worn by an SVN Army enlisted man . Advisors have worn these in Vietnam but they would generally be in gold bullion for officers . These SVN Army berets came in tan and black with gold bullion or brass stamped insignia for officers and silver bullion or silver washed stamped insignia and occasionally a whitish silver hand sewn one for enlisted .

Mitch

I don't want to beat this NVA vs. Chinese surplus thing to death, but one thing I observed over the years was that the wartime field gear was typically a khaki brown, while postwar gear was more of a reed green.

These items look to have had field wear. I like the belt and it also looks like others I've seen from the Vietnam war.

thetrenchman1918

I don't want to beat this NVA vs. Chinese surplus thing to death, but one thing I observed over the years was that the wartime field gear was typically a khaki brown, while postwar gear was more of a reed green.

These items look to have had field wear. I like the belt and it also looks like others I've seen from the Vietnam war.

That is the conclusion I was able to reach by looking at notable dealers websites and specific examples, and comparing to known post war examples, The pictures do not really do the gear justice, it looks like it was dragged through a few rice patties, in my pics you can not clearly see the HEAVY staining and fraying on the edges that only actual use can cause, I plan to continue as if all items are real, I will post an update and if I end up getting will post set up with High quality pics, Thanks for every ones help, all info was a great help, and by studying up I was able to actually educate myself.