Binoculars and scopes

Guest upnorth

WW2 era Number 20 on front lens still has it's original white paint:

post-647-1294072853.jpg

(I'm not sure the rubber eye lens protection is original )

The WW2 era still has his "coated optics" sticker on it. Coatings of optics became mandatory in november 43. The stickers were use to differientate coated from uncoated same type optical devices.

post-647-1294073445.jpg

• 6 months later...

I picked up a wood case with canvas strap that the M49 spotting scope fits. It's built to the same specifics as the M164 case, and in the picture its lower case (the top case is the M164). Does any know what is the vintage of the wood case (WWII, Post WWII, Korean, etc.)?

Appreciate the help.

M49cases.jpg

Thanks for the link, some interesting info on the M49.

I followed all the links, saw pictures and comments on the plastic case (the upper one in my picture), the leather case, and the canvas covered case, but no pictures or comments on a wood case. On the wood case the canvas strap with the C-tip definately points to WWII, but I've only read references to the leather case. So I guess the question still remains, is the wooden case WWII (early, late?) or post-WWII?

• 2 months later...
craig_pickrall

sgtbarnes44 thanks for the great addition on the spotting scopes. I have brought to the top of the section our old discussion on binoculars and scopes so all the info is here together. Would you like me to combine this new thread with the old thread so all the info is in the one thread?