WWII Hat Badge-Is this special?

Mitter2k1

I am posting this for a friend and was hoping to get a little feedback for him. He purchased this hat badge and wasn't sure about it. At first it looked like a normal 4 piece device. But upon further inspection the N in Unum is backwards. Is this common with this style? Any info I can pass along is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted Image

I'm not thinking it is huge, but I do not have any evidence to say that it is common either. In fact, I don't even have a single hat badge in my collection. Interestingly enough it was found on you side of the pond Ian, same country to be exact.

Mike

IMO it just adds some novelty value as some collectors like to have all the variations. Unlike coin collectors, hat badge collectors aren't going to shell out big bucks for a backwards N. I think it is a nice badge in itself and just a bit nicer with the error.

I'm not thinking it is huge, but I do not have any evidence to say that it is common either. In fact, I don't even have a single hat badge in my collection. Interestingly enough it was found on you side of the pond Ian, same country to be exact.

Mike

Yes..there's a little factory up in the hills which is mass-producing them to this day! Classical Latin isn't their strong point. :D

I think it really depends on how many were stamped out before they caught the error and if a large quantity left before they could be destroyed.

What are going to do with you Ian? At least you aren't doing puns today ;)

It's a cool piece and this actually makes me wonder, how many different insignia errors are there out in the world? Is there an existing thread on any sort of errors of any kind be it uniform, gear, or other? It may be worth starting one to see the little goof ups that made it out in to the world. If there isn't one I am willing to put one together.

Mike

There have been several "patch error" threads ( no pun intended! ) in the past. They'll be in the archives somewhere.