Need Help Restoring this ID'D 87th Divison Helmet!!!

wdphll

And here is the finished product! Hope I have not bored you guys to much! All I have left is to find an original ca. 1943 Strap and buckle...anyone know how I could get one and get it sewed on, is there anyone who does that, or will I have to go repo?

post-577-1211054567.jpg

Thanks guys for your kind comments! Well...I found my guy!!!!! Here is the return comments from the webmaster of the 87th Division Association:

Hello Mr. Phillips,

Thanks for the details … an interesting story. Over the years I’ve known a couple fellows from my dad’s outfit who were from Cedar Rapids.

I’ve found that PFC Walter F. Thousand was in Headquarters Company, 345th Infantry Regiment. You can find some additional details in the 345th’s history book, which is available in PDF format from our web site:

http://www.87thinfantrydivision.com/Histor...Book/index.html

He’s included in the company photo. The quality of the photo scan isn’t very good. If you want a better quality scan I can probably get it for you. Interestingly, it appears he had a relative serving with him in the same outfit: PFC John L. Thousand, also of Cedar Rapids. You’ll find both of them in the company photo, and also in the listing of those men who were awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Preston

And here is the finished product! Hope I have not bored you guys to much! All I have left is to find an original ca. 1943 Strap and buckle...anyone know how I could get one and get it sewed on, is there anyone who does that, or will I have to go repo?

The same guy(lawdog) who told you about Whink can help you with the straps. He does do original bartacking(sewing) and he should be able to connect you with some original straps. Boy, your at first unimpressive barn find sure turned impressive... congrats!!!

• 3 weeks later...

His name along with his brothers..both from here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa...sadly they have both passed.

post-577-1212614613.jpg

Pfc Walter Thousand is on the right, Pfc John Thousand is on the left. It sure pays off to do everything you can to chase down a name in a helmet...you just never know what will happen!

post-577-1212614742.jpg

The GOT LUCKY FORMULA: Take one unimpressive barn stored helmet + Spend a lot of time doing a good cleaning job + spend more time doing research = One heck of a nice marked helmet with provenance! Moral: Good collectors aren't lucky, they're patient! It just doesn't get any better than that! I salute you and your hard work. salute.gif

I had a thought come to mind about this, how many helmets like this have gotten into the hands of a collector who wrote it off before trying to clean it or research it? think.gif Yet, these very same collectors will complain that they never find anything good. I always do a thorough inspection on any lid I come across. I even carry a pocket magnifying glass with me at all times. Gotta keep those eye's open! :unsure:

I picked up a M1917 lid marked for an artillery unit of the 89th two weeks ago. This in of it self was a nice pick-up and the price was really good. Upon a little cleaning I found the guy's serial numbers and name!... let the research begin!

The GOT LUCKY FORMULA: Take one unimpressive barn stored helmet + Spend a lot of time doing a good cleaning job + spend more time doing research = One heck of a nice marked helmet with provenance! Moral: Good collectors aren't lucky, they're patient! It just doesn't get any better than that! I salute you and your hard work. salute.gif

I had a thought come to mind about this, how many helmets like this have gotten into the hands of a collector who wrote it off before trying to clean it or research it? think.gif Yet, these very same collectors will complain that they never find anything good. I always do a thorough inspection on any lid I come across. I even carry a pocket magnifying glass with me at all times. Gotta keep those eye's open! :unsure:

I picked up a M1917 lid marked for an artillery unit of the 89th two weeks ago. This in of it self was a nice pick-up and the price was really good. Upon a little cleaning I found the guy's serial numbers and name!... let the research begin!

I could not agree more, if it was not for the idea to look for any sign of a name and to take out the liner, I wold have just handed it back as soon as he pulled it out. Good luck on that 89th!!

And thanks for your kind comments!

Wade

Hi!

Simply what I like: The finding, the cleaning, the identification, the soldier's photos etc. Perfect work! Nothing's greater!!

GREAT find and GREAT post.

Yannick thumbsup.gif

• 8 years later...

You guys are g going to believe this but I just bought his brother's helmet JOHN THOUSAND which is also an 87th ID helmet (345th INFANTRY) obviously. I also got quite a bit of other stuff from John's son. All was directly acquired from the family including his pistol belt and canteen, compass, and slide rule. I'll attach photos when possible. BROTHERS REUNITED!

Pretty cool

Brian

A slight hijack, but I'm struck by how different the response was here to the OP and his effort to clean up and add straps to this helmet vs the thrashing the OP took from some in that recent thread about cleaning a Schlueter

There's some sadness to this subject. Walter was blinded by a bomb blast. John lost a great deal of his hearing in the same blast I think.

GoldenAcorn87thID

That's really awesome !

This is Walter's helmet.

img_5229.jpg

img_5310.jpg

Hope they could be gathered once again one day.

Regards,

Mat