P51 Mustang which kit ?

littlebuddy

I have been looking round to find a P51 kit and im a bit unsure which to choose ??? has any one got any recommendations ?? Scale would have to be 1/48th or bigger if possible !!!

I remember my Grandfather building me the AIRFIX 1/24TH superscale p51 kit when I was about 9 or 10 !! that was a beauty of a model too , plus it was from the 487th fs !!! "blue nose"

LB

If you could afford it, and have at least some modeling skills, the Tamiya 1/32nd P-51 is now considered one of the absolute best kits on the market, hands down. While it's a bit complex, there are even full books written on building it and tons of help online. Most say as long as you follow directions and do a little prep, it's not as complex as it may seem.

That said, Tamiya's 1/48th scale offering is great in it's own right. I prefer it over the Hasegawa 1/48th kit, but they are both great kits. You can't go wrong with either of them.

These are all D model kits. Tamiya makes a 1/48th B model that is great too.

Personally I prefer any of the Hasegawa models over any of the earlier Tamiya ones. I am very fond of the Accurate Miniatures kits for their level of detail.

The Hasegawa and Tamiya 1/48th kits are your best bet as already mentioned. I grew up with the old Monogram 1/48th scale P-51B which will always be my favorite. Best bang for your buck kit ever made :)

How bout the one in clear plastic where all the internals can be viewed. I don't even know if it's still available.

Think you are talking about the old Monogram 1/32nd 'Phantom' Mustang. Probably could find it on ebay.

Carl...die-cast technology has advanced greatly in recent years and the details and graphics of the best kits are pretty much on a par with their plastic equivalents...they are also more robust. Might be an avenue worth exploring? Here's a major British stockist:

http://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/

$_57.JPG

Thanks Ian ! I have a number of these by different manufacturers Hobby Master ,Corgi and Gemini Aces great detail on them but im looking to convert a kit (well the markings anyway ) to represent Lt P B Waters P51 mustang "Gracie"

LB

I was suprised to see that a Monogram Phantom Mustang can still be had unassembled. Those kits first came out in the early 1960's when I was in high school. I never bought & built one tho. (By that time I was moving into rock & roll and girls.)

Carl...die-cast technology has advanced greatly in recent years and the details and graphics of the best kits are pretty much on a par with their plastic equivalents...they are also more robust. Might be an avenue worth exploring? Here's a major British stockist:

http://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/

$_57.JPG

The Hobby Master P51Ds are very nice and they did a couple Bluenosers. The B model shown concerns me as they have a 6 gun 51D wing on it.

Eagles International did a very nice Bluenoser with a Malcom hood. Unless Hobby Master fixes the wing, the Eagles b models are better.

Both 1/48th Scale

If you are willing to spend the extra money the Eagles International folks will to a custom paint job too. If you want Lt. Waters bird, it might be worth thinking about.

http://www.onmarkint.com/static/eagles/eaglesintern.php

I had a custom 4th FG kite done and it's a beauty.

I provided the profile and they made it happen

PitzerP51C.jpg

Cathy1.jpg

The Hobby Master P51Ds are very nice and they did a couple Bluenosers. The B model shown concerns me as they have a 6 gun 51D wing on it.

Eagles International did a very nice Bluenoser with a Malcom hood. Unless Hobby Master fixes the wing, the Eagles b models are better.

Both 1/48th Scale

If you are willing to spend the extra money the Eagles International folks will to a custom paint job too. If you want Lt. Waters bird, it might be worth thinking about.

http://www.onmarkint.com/static/eagles/eaglesintern.php

I had a custom 4th FG kite done and it's a beauty.

I provided the profile and they made it happen

PitzerP51C.jpg

Cathy1.jpg

Thanks for that !! who do I contact ?? I suppose ill need to buy both those books now to get an accurate layout for that specific P51 of P B Waters ??

many thanks LB

LB, the e-mail and phone number of the guy to contact is middle of the page I linked.

I can scan the profile in the Osprey book for you if you want.

I haven't forgotten this Carl. The profile is based on a May 44 look. I'd imagine you want the September 44 look. I'll see if I can't do the profile for both sides myself. It won't be til this upcoming weekend however. Hope that's ok.

Dan