Low numbered Army DSM w/ crimp brooch

emccomas

OK, so what do we think about this one.

A "possible" early numbered Army Distinguished Service Medal (# 343) with a crimp brooch ribbon. The brooch does not appear to have a hallmark.

Real or Memorex????

post-12036-0-68704600-1389366682.jpg

post-12036-0-96962100-1389366691.jpg

Hi Ed!

I saw that one too, I didn't like the way the numbers were stamped so close to the rim that you can see damage when looking directly at the front., maybe it was a reject and never assembled with a brooch. That would explain the later crimp brooch that some enterprising soul might have added during it's travels.

Happy New Year to you!

Joe

I agree, numbers added, not likely to legitemately be out of position like that. Additionally, if you look at the enamel in the obverse picture, it is clearly not older enamel work....you can see it in the word "distinguished" most prpominently. Also, the finish is too new to be a period medal re-ribboned.....

me no likey

For it to legitimately have such a low number it would have to be a WWI vintage medal. It's not; the details of manufacture are not even close to being WWI. Here's a close up of the planchet of a WWI DSM. (Unfortunately I couldn't find a shot of the number.)

post-10651-0-80426700-1389374929.jpg

Here's an early attributed issue I have and posted a while back. Looking at it with the one for sale now I'm in complete agreement, those numbers were added and not official. You can see the difference with the numeral 4.

post-48324-0-91362400-1389384490.jpg

Well done, Adam, Joe, & Sal. It looks like we have to keep up our vigilance to avoid getting tricked into purchasing another "fantasy" medal. Nowadays, the serious collector has to be better informed about his specialties than the sellers of such goofy medals.