"The last bomb" (1945)

Sabrejet

Check out this official War Department colour documentary which follows a B-29 bombing mission against Japan. It graphically illustrates the awesome military and logistic power which the United States possessed in the closing stages of the war in the Pacific. The figures are staggering! Describing the mission, the commentator says, "It's like taking off in Mexico to bomb targets in Canada" ....and flying back again afterwards! The planning and attention to detail by General LeMay and his staff is shown plus, of course, the men of XXI Bomber Command who actually went out there and did it for real! Then there are the stars of the show... those big, beautiful silver birds, the B-29s and their "Little Friends", the P-51s. Truly awesome! (runs for about 36 minutes)

https://archive.org/details/TheLastBomb1945

It wasn't until recently that I understood the amazing distances the pilots and crews in the PTO flew. And got there and back without GPS.

This is a great documentary. I recall actually seeing it on tv once, I think on the Smithsonian channel. Great footage, and color to boot! Thanks for the link.