ANDERSONVILLE SURVIVOR ASSOCIATION CERTIFICATE

oldabewla

This has been in my collection for ten years now the ANDERSONVILLE SURVIVOR ASSOCIATION CERTIFICATE from 1881 and is sign by the famous Felix de la Baume president of the Andersonville survivors association to Daniel H Weikla of the 121st Pennsylvania Infantry. This is the 150th anniversary of the civil war POW camps. I'm not for sure how many of these certificates are out there? but I've been offer very good money for this in the past. Craig

post-7997-0-15225000-1389327786.jpg

Thanks guys,

Felix de la Baume had a key roll in Andersonville prison history, he testified at trial the damaging evidence against Capt Wirz's trial at the end of the Civil War in the results of Capt Wirz being hanged for crimes against the POW's

Felix also drew a detail lithograph drawing of Andersonville prison during the POW time spent there titled, "Let Us Forgive, but Not Forget" for the trial against Capt Wirz.

Here a link to Andersonville POW/MIA national site about Felix La Baume please read!

Craig

http://www.nps.gov/ande/historyculture/felixdelabaume.htm

Here is the original detail lithograph print of the drawing of Andersonville prison that Felix La Baume sold back in 1884 for 50 cent per copy. This was purchased at a auction by my wife for a gift to me.

I found on the print by surprise figure number (5) James M. Lisher of Co, B 16th Reg infantry was detailed in the drawing as a cook and living in Lansing , Iowa This was a very interesting find for me as this is very near to were I grew up.

My brother and I did some research at the local court house and found were James Lisher was laid to rest and it was near by so we took the trip to the cemetery and found his grave.

He was born 1797 and died 1873 James was a very old man at Andersonville and another interesting thing is that he did not have the GAR grave marker so a trip to the local VFW to do the paper work to get the marker and after a few weeks to get it on one nice Saturday we gave him his respect that took so many years for him to get.

Craig

post-7997-0-12298000-1389585469.jpg

post-7997-0-16275100-1389585494.jpg

I had a Prisoner Association Certificate that I sold last year but wasn't familiar with this one.

I talked with a buddy who is a big Andersonville collector-- he said that he has two of these and sees them periodically. They are desirable. SOME were given out to Prisoners who were not confined at Andersonville, so those filled out with particulars of confinement (and include Andersonville) are the most desirable.

Many prisoners were held in multiple prisons-- the guy that had the POW certificate for was held at 4 different prisons to include Andersonville.

As I look at yours-- I see that Salisbury is mentioned but don't see Andersonville (not shown?).

If you need a retail price, I can give you a ballpark.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Your right, this GAR vet was held as a prisoner at Libby and Salbury Confederate prisons.

I receive this as a Christmas gift ten years ago by my father in-law.

He had got it off eBay for around $90 after he won the auction he had two or three guys wanting to buy it for for $200 -$250 but I received as a gift and had the option if I wanted to sell it or keep it? I of course kept it because it was signed by Felix La Baume as he was a prisoner at Andersonville himself and this was the start of a type of POW origination.

I think the guys want to buy it because of the Vet was from Pennsylvania Infantry?

The Rock Island Arsenal was set up as a prison in 1863 and was the largest Union prison and called the north's Andersonville the history books don't talk much about it.

I would be interested in finding out it's valve because i don't really know?

Craig

I think that retail would be in the $200- $300 range on one of these. Yours is probably on the lower end because it is not an Andersonville guy.

I got $250 out of my POW Association certificate. The certificate had the specifics on the soldiers capture and release along with a listing of the prisons that he was held in.

Scott

Craig

Will have to get you some info on LaBaume.A buddy of mine has a article on him as he was researching his family History.I thought he may have been related to the signer of your document.He isnt but he has relatives who have fought in every war since the revolution.One was in Walkers Brigade in the Civil War.I will get you a copy of what he has on LaBaume.Intresting as it wasnt his real name according to the article.

Hi Ron,

On the Andersonville web site his real name is Felix Oesser because he was a deserter, he changed his name to Felix La Baume is what I understand.

Craig

USCapturephotos

Did you guys happen to see my original Andersonville diary I posted on the forum? It was kept by a soldier from the 18th Massachusetts Vols and rescued from the trash at the end of an estate sale by the man that I purchased it from.

Paul

Paul,

The Andersonville diary is a very cool find and worth alot of money, I would think? I saw a original Andersville prison roster of inmates and that sold on ebay for over $2000

Scott,

Very nice POW ASSOCIATION of Iowa? a state association? I see it's dated 1882, I wonder who the signers were?

Craig

Scott,

Very nice POW ASSOCIATION of Iowa? a state association? I see it's dated 1882, I wonder who the signers were?

Craig

I have no idea on the signers. The named guy on the certificate had a great history. He was a minister and spent many years post war travelling the states giving speaches on Andersonville.

Scott