1992-1994 Crow's Nest (Newsletter of Sea Services' Insignia)

hhbooker2

In the summer of 1992 CROW'S NEST started with the first issue being but six pages, it was strictly rates and ranks and other insignia of the sea services, i.e., Army Transpoortation Service, U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey, U.S. Coast Guard, Harbor Boat Service, U.S. Light House Service, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Maritime Service, U.S. Navy, U.S. Public Health Service, U.S. Revenue Cutter Service, etc. Also a few pages on foreign sea services, mostly graphic art drawn by others and myself along with xeroxes, photographs, etc. It ran for 13-issues and ended in the fall of 1994, almost 400-pages, you see, it got bigger each issue! Subscriptions were free and I paid for printing costs as well as postage so no one would be burdened with paying for it as I am not a salesman, but I did accept articles and artwork and credited each person so they got full credit as it was not a "one-man-venture!" One-third of the readership wrote and said it could be imporved this way or that way and most suggested were used and when it ended, I turned over the master-copies to Stephen Decatur Rohde of Sunnyvale, California where he could make reprints later, but he did charge for the cost of printing and postage. I asked Steve to print four full sets and gave two sets to the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors and two sets to the sets to the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. (District of Columbia) for their naval library. I did get a lot of requests from those who wanted reprints and gave them Steve's address, he said a few sent him the costs and others were miffed when he suggested bare-bones costs - I would have spent a lot to reprint almost 400-pages, not to mention cost of postage, especially from people in Australia, Europe, and elsewhere outside the 48-States. Right now I am scanning everything to a CD disk for my own records and to have handy in case a military library wants CDs of the "CROW'S NEST" later? But! I am willing to scan it and send these by email to those who would like to get them free of charge, that I can give away! I do not sell anything, so if you really would like to have it all on scans, email me at: [email protected] and you'll be included in the mailing of ten scans at a time, this will take 40 times ten, mind you! If you like having artwork and pictures of rate and ranks as well as all sea servicde insignia, be prepared to be included! Thank you all! Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected]) POST SCRIPT: (If the Forum decides to do so and include a section on Booklets, Brochures, Catalogues, Magazines, etc., could show 10 scans at a time here as well!)

post-837-1210569645.jpg

Here is the second page of the first issue of the "Crow's Nest!" First issue was but six pages, but the second was ten pages, and the following issues got larger. think.gif

post-837-1210582167.jpg

The "Crows Nest", are great references. If any of you guys collect sea services enlisted (or officer), rank, this is a nice set of references to have. thumbsup.gif

The "Crows Nest", are great references. If any of you guys collect sea services enlisted (or officer), rank, this is a nice set of references to have. thumbsup.gif

Dear Lee: Yes, it was popular and Stephen Decatur Rohde who has the "Master Copy" was asked for back issues of the "Crow's Nest." The ASMIC lirarian asked for a second set as they received requests to borrow it through their leanding-library programme. It'll take time for me to scan the almost 400-pages, but you need only email me at: [email protected] and I'll send you ten scans each time to download to your own files or CD disks. Lee is correct, there are things in the newsletter still not published elsewhere to my knowledge? Thanks, Lee! ermm.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

post-837-1210614851.jpg

Here is page 6 of the first issue that was but six pages. Each succeeding issue increased in the number of pages. :unsure:

post-837-1210615806.jpg

Thanks for your work, Sarge.

-Dan

DAN: You're welcome! Here is Issue 2, page 7 below! It took some time to draw the ship's patches, several days went into this particular page, believe it or not? :D Sarge Booker

post-837-1210693298.jpg