MP & SP Brassards in Wear - Military Police, Shore Patrol, Air Police etc.

Austin R

RustyCanteen

Excellent photos!

Note that the USN personnel are wearing duty belts, which for the most part are merely standard pistol belts. There seems to be a notion held in popular opinion that the Navy only used white web belts for SP personnel, which is false. Eventually white belts did come into their own, but the vast majority of duty belts during WWII were simply standard contracted pistol belts in varying shades of olive drab. Duty belts could be stenciled with the title of the duty, or left plain.

RustyCanteen

President Truman checking out a .45

e3YkBe8.jpg

The MP at right certainly appears to be wearing an eagle snap Mills pouch. It is a shame the image is monochrome. It would be wonderful to know if it had been dyed or otherwise altered to match the lanyards. The belt is a wartime manufacture with alloy buckles.

RustyCanteen

Boston 1943

attachicon.gifboston.jpg

This is an interesting image, because we can clearly see the O.D. #3 waist belt worn by the man being restrained, which contrasts sharply with the belts and pouches worn by the MPs. It is never an easy thing to suggest color of webbing in monochrome images due to the unknowns of the photographer. Different monochrome films coupled with filters can alter the final appearance of a print.

Here is a new one from today, a chief and two sailors. Look at the sailors armbands

Back of pic reads Shore Patrol Duty July 1947 Beach Party Redwood Canyon Berkley, California

post-629-0-67216600-1389503661.jpg

Some very awesome photos.. Do you also collect MP/SP items?

I have quite a few MP pieces, but I don't actively seek out anything other than armbands.

• 1 year later...

Some excellent photos here, let me add this one, a War Worker shows off MP Brassards fresh off the sewing machine, circa 1943 Philadelphia QM Depot. I think the next step is to add the female/male snaps, correct?

post-34986-0-62799600-1449807122.jpg

West Point, about 1972.

This was taken during my high school class trip of New York City.

As you can see, the soldier was plainly tired of having to direct students across the street.

MP West Point MN Class Trip small.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Unknown MP Unit

Washington DC

attachicon.gifunkown.jpg

Enjoying reading your thread and looking at the photos. This pic is of MPs of the District of Columbia's National Guard unit, the 260th MP Group, 171st MP Battalion: I 'cheated' ... the lower left bumper has the unit numbers and the Unit patches they're wearing are the DCNG's red and gold with a US Capitol design. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oops, I see that atb already identified the unit for you. After I got off active duty I was a member of the 171st's sister unit, the 163rd, and then as a CID Agent in the 121st MP Detachment (CI).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...