MP & SP Brassards in Wear - Military Police, Shore Patrol, Air Police etc.

Austin R

Your 9th Div MP on post #85 was probably Co E, 39th/47th/60th Inf Regt bet 7 Mr 45 and May 45. (Trading Post JM 2003 "Voluntary Infantry Replacements"). He was part of a program which assigned Negro EM to white infantry companies as the so-called "5th Platoon". From what I have read, in addition to the article, the info indicated all the volunteers were assigned to rifle companies only. He must have been in an MP squad as part of that plt. Thanks for the photo. Perhaps it will open up a discussion.

The 2nd AD brassard and photo in post #82 is stunning, too.

Your 9th Div MP on post #85 was probably Co E, 39th/47th/60th Inf Regt bet 7 Mr 45 and May 45. (Trading Post JM 2003 "Voluntary Infantry Replacements"). He was part of a program which assigned Negro EM to white infantry companies as the so-called "5th Platoon". From what I have read, in addition to the article, the info indicated all the volunteers were assigned to rifle companies only. He must have been in an MP squad as part of that plt. Thanks for the photo. Perhaps it will open up a discussion.

The 2nd AD brassard and photo in post #82 is stunning, too.

Dave, thank you for answering a question I've have for several years. I have several studio photos of black MPs all wearing

beautifully embellished 9th Div. MP helmet liners. The photos are dated Germany, 1945. I could never find a "colored" MP unit

attached to the 9th Inf. Div. and in 1945 the Army was still segregated. "Colored" MP units were Corps or Army level, not

Divisional (other than the 92nd or 93rd)

Bob

Dave, thank you for answering a question I've have for several years. I have several studio photos of black MPs all wearing

beautifully embellished 9th Div. MP helmet liners. The photos are dated Germany, 1945. I could never find a "colored" MP unit

attached to the 9th Inf. Div. and in 1945 the Army was still segregated. "Colored" MP units were Corps or Army level, not

Divisional (other than the 92nd or 93rd)

Bob

According to my research, which is limited, there was only one black (colored) MP battalion that made it overseas during WW II. That was the 780th, and it recd campaign credit only for Southern France. The 9th ID did not serve in nor recv campaign credit for Southern France. I found two other black (colored) MP Bns during WW II, but both were assigned to ZI.

I cannot speak for separate black (colored) MP companies serving overseas in any theater, even provisional units. The VIR program of 1945 was highly successful and led to the integration of the US armed forces post-WW II. We both know that many separate Army units were attached to other units for various lengths of time and the men wore shoulder patches of those other units.

I seriously doubt any divisional commander would authorize the integration of his divisional MP platoon/company in 1945, or an experimental black (colored) MP squad attached to his MP platoon/company in 1945. I can find no references either way. If someone else here has info on the subject, perhaps we can all learn something.

According to my research, which is limited, there was only one black (colored) MP battalion that made it overseas during WW II. That was the 780th, and it recd campaign credit only for Southern France. The 9th ID did not serve in nor recv campaign credit for Southern France. I found two other black (colored) MP Bns during WW II, but both were assigned to ZI.

I cannot speak for separate black (colored) MP companies serving overseas in any theater, even provisional units. The VIR program of 1945 was highly successful and led to the integration of the US armed forces post-WW II. We both know that many separate Army units were attached to other units for various lengths of time and the men wore shoulder patches of those other units.

I seriously doubt any divisional commander would authorize the integration of his divisional MP platoon/company in 1945, or an experimental black (colored) MP squad attached to his MP platoon/company in 1945. I can find no references either way. If someone else here has info on the subject, perhaps we can all learn something.

Dave, here is an interesting photograph from the group of Black 9th Div. MPs Note the group photo includes Black MPs and what I

believe are Industrial Police.

post-102330-0-01793100-1542045766.jpg

Dave, here is an interesting photograph from the group of Black 9th Div. MPs Note the group photo includes Black MPs and what I

believe are Industrial Police.

attachicon.gif9th Div. MPs.jpg

Sure looks totally integrated to me.....great photo and I learned something fascinating today. OK, more like mind-blowing. I can't thank you enough. Probably 9th MP Plt mid-1945 to Fall 1945.

• 2 weeks later...

I searched and searched for a photo of an MP wearing a Checkpoint Brassard so I could display

the two in my collection. Every photo I saw was either taken from the right hand side or unrecognizable.

This is the best I could find.

post-102330-0-48704700-1543020928_thumb.jpg

post-102330-0-73832900-1543020950.jpgpost-102330-0-69908000-1543020971.jpg

Salvage Sailor

MP's detailed to child actress Shirley Temple during a visit to the 27th Infantry Regiment 'Wolfhounds', Schofield Barracks, T.H. 1939 (from my Pineapple Army collection)

1939 Shirley Temple 11a.jpg

1939 Shirley Temple 13a.jpg

Shirley Temple and Sonja Henie at Schofield Barracks, T.H. 1939 (from my Pineapple Army collection)

1939 Shirley Temple 12a.jpg

1939 Shirley Temple 07a.jpg

1939 Shirley Temple Sonja Henie 01a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

USMC MP at Honolulu harbor with British Royal Marine MP, HMS RENOWN 1924 (from my Pineapple Army collection)

USMC MP 1924 Honolulu T.H. HMS RENOWN 001.jpg

USMC MP 1924 Honolulu T.H. HMS RENOWN 002.jpg

q2BIDBS.jpg

101st Airborne Division, Detroit 1968

1968! This has got to be a captional error, why, because the 101 was fighting in Vietnam in 1968, the division's remaining elmts (the 101's 1st Brigade already In Country, In country since July 1965) start to arrive In Country in October 1967, so this would be the July 1967 riots.

mysteriousoozlefinch

1968! This has got to be a captional error, why, because the 101 was fighting in Vietnam in 1968, the division's remaining elmts (the 101's 1st Brigade already In Country, In country since July 1965) start to arrive In Country in October 1967, so this would be the July 1967 riots.

It is, patches. For some reason my brain always moves the Detroit riots forward a year even though they weren't related to MLK. They happened in July of 1967 as you said, and I even got it right in the SSI thread!

Salvage Sailor

Anyone know what the brassard denotes on the MP Captain shown below? (Left side, first row)

Photo: Military Police, HQ Hawaiian Division (Special Troops), Schofield Barracks T.H. 1930

005.jpg

Anyone know what the brassard denotes on the MP Captain shown below? (Left side, first row)

Photo: Military Police, HQ Hawaiian Division (Special Troops), Schofield Barracks T.H. 1930

APM - Assistant Provost Marshal

• 1 month later...

US Army Military Police "Town Patrol" Itaewon District, Seoul, South Korea, early 2000s. Any self-respecting MP at that time left the ratty, unit -issued MP brassard with the dirty and frayed unit patch back in their wall locker in their barracks room, and went to get one of the custom patent leather ones made, with the squared away clear plastic covering over the unit patch. Still have mine.

post-160238-0-54935700-1548351343_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...