West Point Cadet Uniform 1902-1907

Guest newton706

Hello everybody,

I recently came across a West Point greyish (?) uniform at the local base thrift shop. It has the West Point store tag in and some markings I cannot make out. The name was swiped with a permanent ink marker and I can't make out the name. Even my Short Wave violet light can't bring up the original name. I was about to put it on Ebay when I decided to hunt some more and found this forum.

The uniform isn't complete without the slacks. It has the white sleeve inserts and Gold cuff links, It has no chevrons and I am thinking this is a second year student's uniform. The insides have sweat staining and the entire uniform is wrinkled... I won't clean it. Since this style was used for so long, I have searched and search to narrow down the years... and the closest I can get is 1902-07. The thrift shop ladies said an old woman brought the uniform jacket in. It looks like it has been stored in a chest and have a faint cedar odor.

It appears exactly like this uniform at Heritage Auctions (ended in 2004)

I've posted the old auction photos but can't get all of the photo. The tag shown is similar to the one in the uniform coat I have.

I'm 100% disabled retired, I was a medic. My Dad served 28 years in the Navy. I have numerous items that I want to let go but don't know what prices to ask. I got cheated by a fellow that walked away with 2 field radios, mucho live ammo, a 50.cal belt and other stuff. I later found my full unopened Aces of Spaces missing after he left. Since I live next to an Army base, it's easy to find a lot of stuff people throw out and don't realize the value or history of what they are throwing away. I do metal detecting and collect coins and stamp. I like reading and studying history, especially military history and religious history. I have all kinds of Viet Nam era stuff, etc. but mostly fatigues and a compass that I cherish and a few confederate items. Let me know what you're looking for and I might be able to find it.

But for now, can anyone help me identify the West Point uniform jacket... any way to find out names of people in the early classes at West Point?.

post-3155-1210567274.jpg

post-3155-1210567287.jpg

post-3155-1210567296.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

West Point has a register of graduates that gives information on their military career. I unfortunately am not where I can get to mine for a few days, but hopefully in the meantime someone here could provide you the info in their book.

I just gave away two pairs of pants from a West Point cadet class of 35 or so. Unless you can ID a uniform to a cadet who later earned some notable commendations as an officer, military academy uniforms generally don't fetch a lot of money, even old ones. If you can't read the name on the label it will be pretty much impossible to figure out who owned it.

Richard Hayden Agnew Class of 1935 USMA

Born: Nebraska 6/30/10

Died: Tacoma WA. 11/11/77

Awards: Bronze Star Medal and CIB

Retired as a Col. 1964

The uniform in the post is a stock picture from an auction.Newton was comparing this to his as his has a marked out label.Nice quick ID on the one from the auction thumbsup.gif

RON

My sad USMA story.

A good friend of mine was mid 30's USMA. I was on of the last people he called just befopre he passed away from cancer (I assume now to say good bye, but at the time it was just a quick call saying hello).

So I find out a week or so later he passed and while gooleing for obits find a dealer had his named Cadet uniform (!) that came from a lot of them bought from a movie costume house. Of course I got it, and offered it to the family- who immediatly said he'd peobably prefer me to keep it, but I have always be so frustrated that had I stumbled upon that listing two weeks earlier I might have been able to give him a major kick by having his old coat turn up in the mail.....

but I digress.

... but I have always be so frustrated that had I stumbled upon that listing two weeks earlier I might have been able to give him a major kick by having his old coat turn up in the mail.....

Who's to say he didn't 'spirit' that jacket on to you! wink2.gif